Electronic/Sythesized Hip Hop/Rap Beat challenge

If you need help, I can handle the files and making the playlist, basically host it but not run it…

Let me know

1 Like

I think eventually we pretty much decided this was gonna be an open ended place for people to experiment with/post synth based Hip Hop beats, sub genres included, I’m happy for it to stay like that, at least that way folk can dip in and out and share what they have even if it’s just a seed of an idea or a fleshed out track…

4 Likes

Agee!

Not having a laundry list of rules and regulations make this a bit more open and fun if anyone asked me.

I have a few bits I’ll post when ready, I like the idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, that feels right to me. Especially with the other battles already in existence :blush:

Yeah, me too. I just want to help out if people need, not really want to be running a bunch of challenges no one has time to do.

Plus, I get excited with new ish, but reality sets in and it turns into too much, and I just start producing mediocre crap.

1 Like

Hip hop started with turntables, not drum machines, so “since the beginning” is not quite accurate.

1 Like

Technically you are correct. But I can follow the reasoning of sndrsklr. If we’re talking about hip hop records; I consider '82 early, since there was no other way for a person who didn’t live in the Bronx until the late seventies to listen to it. I mean we’re more than forty years later at this point.

In 1982, Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force released “Planet Rock,” one of the most influential early hip hop songs. Instead of rapping over funk beats, Bambaataa created an electronic sound by sampling Kraftwerk and using the Roland TR-808 drum machine. The song helped popularize the TR-808, which became a staple of hip hop music.

2 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree that the two-way influence between hip hop and electronic dance music is huge. But if you look at songs from the same year or earlier than Planet Rock, you have The Message, That’s the Joint, The Breaks, plus (whatever you think of them) the Sugarhill Gang records – all live backing tracks, and even in 1984 you have Here We Go, which is straight up turntables and rapping.

If we really want to get picky, couldn’t we actually say that turntables invented breakbeats, which in turn got adopted by Hip Hop?

But conversely, the turntables were “played” so you could say they are an instrument.

So both are right?

1 Like

I would say drummers invented breakbeats.

3 Likes

I would say the Octatrack converters invented songmode and that hip hop lost its focus.

2 Likes

That’s right. I misspoke. I meant isolating and chaining them, so I meant genre, I’m not sure I’m using the right term.

1 Like

Agreed I’ve been into Hip Hop since the tender age of 13 (1984) that period in particular was a proper mixed bag of styles from the likes of Kurtis blow, nucleus, schooly d, world class wreckin crew etc.

Some favoured breaks others used synths and drum machines, I’ve still got the entire street sounds electro back catalogue in my playlist and it really is a chronicle of the evolution of 80s Hip Hop and rap, well worth a listen if you can find a decent source for them…

3 Likes

I’d love it if you could PM me the playlist. Even a screenshot of it!

I need to educate myself.

Sorry, Meant REeducate myself.

Pmd👍

1 Like

Is this challenge ongoing? Any dead lines? I want to try after i finish with the dnb video game challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s open ended fella, you can post a beat anytime you have something to share… :pray::+1:

3 Likes

First time using SP-404 together with OP-1. I love skipback sampling!

Warning; I must say it’s really hard not to get cheesy. :sweat_smile:
But I had a lot of fun making this, and I attribute it to the immediateness of the SP404, i’m really starting to like this little unit.

10 Likes

I think this is my submission for this. The drums are samples but all the synth work is mine on the Model Cycles. Enjoy! Feel free to critique/give feedback if you want to. I’m always open to hearing what folks think, even if it’s negative. Cheers!

11 Likes

It’s really good!

I like the vibe. Very outlaw.

Since you asked for criticism, I would say the intro synth is too present before the beat kicks in.

The reverb helps sit the synth into the mix after the beat drops in, but maybe add a touch of filter to take the edge off in the beginning? Or a little delay?

I’m not sure.

But other than that, it’s great for a montage in a movie!

1 Like