Electronics : CV faux pas : ( [ resolved : ) ]

EDIT : Phew panic over, RSD is Resurrected Sampling Device, this is arguably more embarrassing than the CV mistake might have been … see post below

Call out for electronics insights, trying to fathom the cost of my error … grr

A renewed interest in all things retro-digital, mono and CV controllable had me exploring my Boss RSD-10 for which I built a little square-wave oscillator back in the 80s to knock the pitch control down and double the effective loop time at the expense of quality, something that’s now desirable

That was then, now I can feed all manner of pitches (and gates) into this to trigger all sorts of interesting glitchiness/artefacts, well that was the plan - not long into the experiment I was keen to accelerate randomness and I fed an LFO into a trig in (full disclosure, I had just read the manual for the Boss RPS-10 (which I also have) and had been thinking about pitch(audio) and gate, but this was my first error, wrong box, although the PCB for the RSD is labelled Gate and 0>5v as it happens, my second error was ignoring my fleeting thought to tap a unipolar LFO source ) … anyway - long story short, it’s only giving me a dry signal now, no delays and no sampling, something happened and I guess it was the negative voltage (if that makes sense)

Now, in such circumstances, perhaps there are elements of a circuit that are prime candidates to explore when a generic error like this happens (maybe it’s entirely circuit specific too), but it would make me feel less gutted if there was a sniff of hope or useful leads to follow (manually testing certain candidate components), maybe there’s an ultra slim hope of replacing an old 80s IC, but I am fearful it’ll be something terminal or irreplaceable

I’ll see if I can attach the service notes for anyone vaguely curious, but essentially there’s a schematic on the device which illustrates the flow, it may be useful in pinpointing areas to look further at

Any insights welcomed, these things are like hand-made inside, origami meets a swiss watch, it’s all packaged up super tight and very labour intensive to pull apart, so I only want to go in when I have some time and ideas (although perhaps there may be evidence of a failure to help me along? basically I tried, but it’s a tricky job, they don’t make 'em like this any more)

I’m so gutted for being so impatient

boss_rsd-10.pdf (2.7 MB)

and a schematic

1 Like

I think on the circuit diagram on pg 6/7 the trigger input goes via two transistors (Q22, Q22) and also diodes D24, D25 (maybe D23 too?)

I reckon they are good things to try replacing, as I think they’re both quite sensitive to reverse polarity and they’re before any ICs so maybe you just blew them up and it’s an easy fix?

I’m not a proper electronics genius though, just what I’d try!

love these boxes, have an RPS10, lofi brilliance!

1 Like

Thanks for giving me a glimmer of hope :thup: , I’ve yet to knuckle down and follow the diagrams myself from my hacker-hobby perspective at least, but even having a direction like this will be useful, if only for the morale of there being logic why the IC’s may be okay … the downside is that without using the trig part I might have expected the delay to function when in a delay mode (thus my deeper worries) - but it’s all just bad timing for me to dig deeper into it right now … cheers for the insight which is new to me and thanks for looking at it - it’s a fascinating document, the old Roland documents are great this way for detail - I did pick up some rare similar vintage bits from Roland about 15 years ago so I may still have ultra-slim hopes that way I suppose

yeah, I mean, I’m not super confident as you say, the trigger part in theory shouldn’t stop the rest of it working, but having said that, it’s possible (if not all that likely that fixing a couple of broken components might remove a short that’s causing the issue. things do spring back into life sometimes!

Someone else may have an even better idea than me, i’m definitely not expert level…

As you have a circuit diagram, maybe ask here?

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/search?q=atack+exchange.

people are generally quite helpful…

1 Like

try muffs ‘music tech diy forum’

1 Like

Thanks to all above for constructive thoughts

Here’s the embarrassing bit, this was a basic OT error

The RSD is always Dry + Wet, so the input is Mixed at out, it can get a bit busy to discern the audio control of delay length on dense material, so I wanted to envelope the loop the OT was piping in to leave room to audition the resulting processed chaos returning from an aux/return to the OT

My mistake was to truncate the return (i.e. the Thru) and not the send (i.e. the Static), so no matter what I was doing on the device I was only hearing the brief blip of the returned thru track (just the source) which cut the echoes or rumbling inaudible samples, basically the oscillator I was feeding in was too low so the bits were recirculating slowly and the effect is super subtle

Awkward but quite a relief to find that I haven’t damaged a little cult box of sentimental value that I performed my first public outing looping with frippertronics stylee back in the late 80s - it’s gonna be a glitchy weekend …

Happy days :okej: :black_heart:

3 Likes

phew!

1 Like

Glad your RSD-10 wasn`t damaged! :slight_smile:

I just bought an RSD-10… and was wondering if anyone did a wet mod on it.

Apparently, there are 3 ways/options:
A) removal of a capacitor to get just a 100% wet signal
B) installation of a dry/wet toggle switch
C) 1/4" jack wet + RCA jack dry outputs

Not an electronics technician, but can solder just fine.
Option A seems easy enough, but I prefer option C the most.

Which mod (if any) does anyone here currently have on this amazing little box?

1 Like