Elektron beginner - overview of p-locks

Hello all,
I read this forum every evening and I find it a very welcoming community, so, congratulations to everyone for this, it’s not a common thing.

I acquired an Analog 4 and a Rytm, both MkI and used, last year, but life events didn’t let me spend much time with them, apart from familiarising with the manual and instructional videos on youtube every now and then.

Finally, yesterday I spent an afternoon playing the preset patterns, using macros, scenes and mutes. They sound fantastic.

I noticed that here are some patterns that sound much bigger than the number of voices suggests, especially on the Analog 4. This is due to the usage of sound locks and p-locks.

So, there comes the first question: how do I distinguish between a p-lock and a sound lock? Is the sound lock “flattened” into a series of p-locks? In that way, the connection with the original sound from the sound pool is lost.

Also, to inspect the p-locks, I hold the trig button and cycle through the osc/filt/amp pages to look for parameters that show a p-lock. There are a few pages, and most of them do not have p-locks. Is there a more efficient way?

Again about p-locks inspection, sometimes I hold a trig with p-locks and I can’t find any, but the sound is different, so there must be a change somewhere. Is there something I’m overlooking?

2 Likes

Trigs with parameter locks and sound locks are flashing. Sound locks indicate the name of the locked sound when pressed. No other way to identify which parameters are locked apart from stepping through the pages afaik.

(speaking from a MKII perspective under the assumption that this has always been similar)

1 Like

I agree - I remember being new two or three years ago, it’s a nice thing indeed - welcome!

One other thing that you could check - although I’m not sure if / which factory patterns used this - is “Velocity Modulation”. Its another thing that can affect a sound sounding different, even though you wouldn’t see it in the Plocks (other than looking at the velocity of the triggs of course). You could look into this in the manual & check the factory patterns to see if they use it.

Enjoy:)

added: in short, with velocity mod you can set multiple parameters of a sound that will be affected by the amount of velocity of a trigg. You could for example set velocity to open a filter a bit more, and a bit longer, and to have a bit more fx or drive for example.

2 Likes

Oh, didn’t think of modulations!