Elektron Machinedrum - How to save/retrieve a groove i made

ello guys,

Merry Christmas to everybody
i am hoping for some advice from some experienced users of the ElektronMachinedrum. i am still getting my head around this, been reading the manual etc…

i promised myself i wouldn’t make a groove or track before i learn how to save what i have programmed (i guess what referred to as ‘‘pattern?’’) however, excited as i was, i did and - guess what - after pressing a weird combination (i think Bank Group + Mute) or something like this, the whole programming was wiped off. my groove programming is gone :frowning:

i would like to ask if there’s any way to retrieve what i had just programmed or is it gone for good??

also, is there any way to save a programming i have done? i realized this is different to saving Kit, (where only the sounds are saved). i also know that the programming i’ve made stays in the drum machine automatically when i switch it on and off, however i managed to delete it somehow

is there anyway to undo this?

any help would be most appreciated!

alex

Hold function & press clear with the red button not lit.
If it’s still in the buffer it will undo the previous action of pattern clear.
You mention pressing the bank button tho!!! Are you sure you haven’t just moved to an empty pattern?

not that I know of !

happens constantly to me, sometimes pressing the delete command twice triggers an undo … pooof now its gone … sorry for you bro :thinking:

thanks for the quick reply bluewolfse7en - much appreciated.

as i browse through the 8 patterns, i can’t hear or see any programming in any of them.

i tried to do function + clrea but i didnt get an ‘‘Undo pattern’’ message…hmm

what i wanted to do was to press Function + Mute, to mute some channels, but instead i am pretty sure i pressed Bank Group and Mute.

that would have moved me to Bank E, but going back to other Banks, i can’t find anything… so weird

I lost lots of work in the first couple months of owning my Elektrons! Try not to get too attached to anything you work on for a while, because the margin for error is very narrow on these machines (unless you make copies and SAVE a lot …which you will learn to do I’m sure).

When you CLEAR a pattern, you can undo it by holding FUNCTION and CLEAR on more time, and you will see a prompt that says UNDO PATTERN (something like that). But you can only do this if you haven’t already navigated to another pattern exited the menu.

KITS can be linked to one or as many patterns as you like (LOAD KIT). Patterns are stored in the memory after power OFF, but they WILL NOT BE SAVED if you switch Snapshots before saving the Snapshot (GLOBAL > FILE > SNAPSHOTS > SAVE ). Saving a Snapshot will write the KITS, Patterns, Globals, etc. to the onboard memory so it can be protected and recalled later. Make it a habit to save your Snapshots regularly!

Small tip: When you get a cool pattern or groove going, immediately save the Kit, and make at least on copy of the pattern so you have one to continue to tweak on, and the other as backup for when you mess up. These machines will force you to do these things religiously.

1 Like

thanks for the extensive info guys - much appreciated!

i finally browsed through each pattern of each bank and found mind of Bank B04, phew…! hadn’t realized the concept of each Bank having 16 patterns…pretty basic…shame…i will make sure to follow your advice and save religiously, create copies and save the kit… :+1:

another quick question, if possible - a bit off topic and a bit more advance…

i am trying to clock my modular system and other modular stuff on my Eurorack system with the Machinedrum…

i’ve been reading in forums that i have to load a GND IMP synth (and set the right values, which is not that hard) in order to do that…

however, i am finding a bit tricky to load the GND IMP synth, not sure exactly how this is done… ideally i would like to load it, in the same pattern (B04) say in channel 16 and route that to another output so it clock the modular.

is there any chance, if possible, that somebody could give me few more details on how it’s done?

once again, many thanks in advance

KIT >> LOAD >> GND (first column) IMP (second column)
You have to select which track gets the sound, which I believe can be done with the job wheel straight from that same window.

I’ve never clocked anything using CV before, but I imagine you’d set up the IMP sound on the 1/4 note pulses, set it to it’s own output (which is done in the kit setup/sound select screen).

Word.

If that’s not correct, I am very sorry! Someone will correct the info quickly, no doubt.

Peace!

many thanks Rubix and everyone else- much appreciated. sorted this one out easy- all good! :+1: