Elektron sequencer: set tempo per trig?

Is it possible to somehow set the sequencer tempo per trig? Or to automate tempo changes by any means other than using your hand on the tempo knob (even if not aligned with a trig)?

I am pretty sure this isn’t possible using any obvious feature like a trig lock, but can it be done some other way?

Not sure this is your answer but with tempo per pattern, you could set up chains or song mode and “automate” it…

5 Likes

Nothing built in. Clock/tempo isn’t typically allocated to a CC in most instruments.

I’m brainstorming how this could be done. You could probably imitate a Flux tempo via software with something like the Nodal sequencer(if you’re going for loose performance.

Hardware, probably modular would be the option, and use a modulatable LFO to send a square wave to replicate a clock rate and then a second LFO(or use a sequencer) to modulate the rate of that LFO.ans then something to convert that clock rate to Midi

2 Likes

As mentioned before I’d probably use pattern chain mode with each pattern being 1 step long.

Lots more things can also change per pattern such as delay and reverb settings

If each pattern were different step lengths and tempo you could get some very weird timings .

This technique would work on most elektron devices too.

3 Likes

Very cool idea!

1 Like

If you use 16 patterns to do what would normally be done in 16 steps , then while in pattern select mode you can then choose to loop sections too , you can select a start and end pattern
ie loop last 4 patterns ( effectively the last 4 fake steps)
I think that type of step loop thing is on tr8 and other Roland gear.

Good for build ups etc.

2 Likes