Elektron syntakt techno rumble

Oh yeah sorry, didn’t mean it personally! I too am interested in learning all the techniques which make pro tracks sound pro.

would you please post some example videos with time stamps so we know what you mean with ”techno rumble”?

Just get your rumble naturally by playing your tracks at full volume in a bunker :wink:

3 Likes

Its that Snts style, its somewhat similar to the dark techno reverb kick, but instead of the reverb tail beeing dark its now pronounced with distortion.

I can get close on the Syntakt using 4 Kicks. (Main Kick clean, 3 offbeat kicks in varying settings send to the analog distortion. Its the old but gold Schranz Techno method. Could be done also with reverb time automation on the offbeat kicks.

When you p lock the offbeat kicks you can roll that basseline, creating a brutal version of the psytrance bassline.

2 Likes

To me Paula Temple and SNTS are the artists that have defined what “rumble kicks” are, and the sound has become synonymous with modern Berlin warehouse techno. Essentially a layer of syncopated low frequency noise under the kick that often replaces a bassline.

There are many tutorials on YT showing how to do this in DAWs like Ableton, but it’s pretty tricky to do convincingly on one drum machine. I’ve tried it on the Digitakt and TR-6S and got pretty close.

2 Likes

Great example

1 Like

thanks everyone, i was wondering what OP thinks what techno rumble is - and it might be a different thing. but perhaps OP can now confirm with those examples?

1 Like

… however, i’ll give it a try on my syntakt when i’m back home next week :wink:

off topic, i just saw that this song’s visuals were done by Kalma, and we recently also worked with her. however, definitely no techno rumble :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Maybe not techno technically, but some awesome rumble nonetheless! :+1:

1 Like

holy shit thank you for introducing me to Paula Temple, been wanting more techno like this

1 Like

Paula is a great producer in her own right but her recent DJ sets have been epic (and full of proper rumble examples as well)

5 Likes

similar rumbly warehouse vibes

1 Like

That flute track ~6m :exploding_head:

Thank you for all the posts and tips. I listen a lot to a playlist called Techno bunker on spotify. There are some good kicks on those tracks, not all have rumble…

This is one of the oldest examples that came to my mind, from 1992:

3 Likes

Das ist TeSHno ! :content:
Isn’t it just the kick with a sinced delayed reverb ?

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist another try, but really do prefer to not use the reverb/delay as they are so useful for the other elements of a track. So now 2 tracks for kick+rumble (one each), no fx /fx block.

5 Likes

Yep!

Too much gong not enough oomph

I’m glad to hear that. Thank you. :slight_smile: