Elektron x Loop Cloud

don’t go dousing this thread with reality, it’s already very fragile :grin:

4 Likes

The 1.50 OS update along with the Loopcloud integration have made the Digitakt become not only my favorite Elektron device, but my favorite hardware instrument.

3 Likes

Do you have to use Overbridge in order to use Loopcloud with the Digitakt?

According to the instructions in the link posted above, Overbridge is required:

“To integrate your Digitakt with Loopcloud, you’ll need to install the latest version of Loopcloud, the latest firmware for your Digitakt and the latest version of Elektron Overbridge”

Link: https://help.loopmasters.com/hc/en-us/articles/13704078031124-How-do-I-connect-my-Digitakt-to-Loopcloud-

I‘ve never installed Overbridge and the loopcloud integration works.

3 Likes

Yes, I didn’t use Overbridge nor update it to its latest version before using Digitakt and Loopcloud together. It’s strange that the instructions stated Overbridge is needed.

2 Likes

Cheers people!

3 Likes

weird, didn’t work for me without Overbridge!
Or maybe I just needed to click the “always show elektron” bit. I dunno.

1 Like

I have a new laptop without OB installed and Loopcloud integration worked just fine.

To continue the overall Loopcloud integration as a positive/negative discussion:

I find the workflow with Loopcloud and DT interesting and potentially very productive. Being able to quickly audition and prep up to 8 layers of samples prior to deployment to DT, plus all the other integration features, seems like it would be a game changer for some.

Does it break Digitakt? No.

Does it make things easier for someone to simply hack together something that’s simply loop playback from a premade kit? Sure.

Do I care? Not at all.

Truth is, one could always do this with the DT, especially once the variations of the LFO stretch hack started appearing. Sure, it would take a bit more organizational effort and track setup to get there, but the Digitakt certainly never stopped anyone from using layered, premade loops in their projects.

But the DT isn’t ideal for this and its workflows encourage mangling and sonic exploration no matter what the sound sources. If you want to mostly punch loops in and out, there are other devices that are much better options.

I do have opinions about music making and production but mostly keep them to myself because it isn’t my job to gatekeep what people do and don’t do with their gear or how they make music in general. Sometimes I might slip and make an oblique snark here and there, but realistically, if people enjoy what they do, more power to them.

Currently, Loopcloud integration with DT is totally optional, with zero effect on those who don’t wish to use it. Even though I am personally finding merit using the two together, I would be right there with a torch AND a pitchfork if ANY feature of the Digitakt as a pure stand-alone somehow required Loopcloud to work.

That is not the case, and given Elektron’s history and die-hard user base of musicians who are adamant about that dawless standalone capability, I just don’t see a Loopcloud or other similar 3rd-party dependency happening.

4 Likes

Does anybody have the promo code? I’ve registered, but it hasn’t come up.

I’m experiencing loopcloud/digitakt since one month.
Integration is very well made, workflow is fast and it’s very easy to build a track.

But I will not continue after the free 2 month offer , I realized that I spend more time in the loopcloud app listening samples than mangling samples on the DT. Everything gets in tune and stretch automatically, I have not the same satisfaction than sampling the old school way (listening a song, finding the perfect loop or one shot, tune it, filter), everything sound pretty generic to my ears, I never had the “whaou” effect as when I find a sample on a record (vinyl, youtube, anything…) and put it on a beat.
For drums, I have some goldbaby samples packs for years that sound better than anything I could find on loopcloud.

So it was a fun experience, but I will not pay for that kind of service, this is not the way I want to make music :wink:

2 Likes

i was dismissive but it seems kinda awesome actually

2 Likes