Elektronauts dnb/jungle tunes/tips

Yeah I’d love to get another monitor, if only for the cool factor, I don’t really use session mode for anything other than building my initial clips though, once that’s done though I’m like you straight into arrangement…

Edit… You made me gas for the monitor, got myself a cheap ultrawide, two windows one monitor :+1::sweat_smile:

I don’t often make dnb but do love it. I made this on Koala a few weeks ago and in the process of doing it I discovered something.

My first attempts involved pitching up breaks by an octave and then chopping them (+adding compression, saturation etc).

Then I realised that combining the pitched up hits with hits that were pitched down (same sample source) added weight in a way I liked better than simply compressing or otherwise effecting the pitched up hits.

My realisation during making this track was that I could then add in the original snare over the top of the combined pitched up/down hits and it introduces a kind “gearing up” element where the drum does something that you can’t quite put your finger on initially but definitely takes the track up a gear. I’m almost certain Krust did it on “Warhead” (which I was shamelessly riffing on in this quick flip)

6 Likes

Nice work fella, dark and menacing, also the snare thing is a nice tip, thanks for sharing :+1:

1 Like

My pleasure, mate - and thanks for the positive words on the flip. Hope the snare tip comes in handy

Drum layers sample pack tip: Goldbaby Dirt and Layers is awesome for layered/resampled drums.

2 Likes

Yeah mate that definitely gonna make it into the next project without doubt…

1 Like

I really messed up the levels in this somehow but this is something I made in Live. I feel like it has the problem I always do, that there’s not enough happening to make it into a full track. I could put some moody film dialogue in it I guess :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just a little heads up for any of you producing itb, stranjah just posted this link on his YouTube channel, it’s a free emulator for access virus b and c, works a treat and was a bit of a workhorse synth in early dnb…

You can grab the virus ROMs by doing a Google search for them, just unpack the emulator into your vst3 folder and put the rom in the folder with it, works a treat, it’ll do virus b an c like I said but you can only have one rom at a time in the folder…

3 Likes