Elektronauts Do you have any Good Recommendations for Ultrawide Curved Screens Monitors?

leaning towards midrange as far as sizes go though I’m not especially sure… budget wise I don’t know but something economical in regards to the price point feature rich ratio lol

maybe something that matches well with a m1 mac air as I think one of those is not too far off in my ramenfied future.
what are some good bullet points to look for?

I bought an Ultrawide somewhat recently and did some research:

• 34 inches is the standard. 29’ is wide but feels rather small.
  • at 34 inches, you’ll want 3440x1440. 2560x1080 is a bit pixelated, PPI is below 90.
  • Main types of screen tech you’ll find in the midrange is VA and IPS. VA has more contrast but also more ‘black crush’ (dark greys become black). IPS is a bit more ‘true to life’
  • IPS often has some backlight bleed. In a dark scene you may notice some yellow tints in the corners.
  • VA often has a smearing effect on blacks.
  • The amount of curvature varies a lot from screen to screen. A lot of them have a mild curve, which you barely if at all notice compared to a flat one.
5 Likes

thanks Norb, apparently there is a lot more to it than I thought :slight_smile: crash course much appreciated.

I have a non-curved 4K 50” Hisense H8 (dubbed the Pretty H8 Machine) that I’m using as a monitor and it’s amazing.

When I go back to ITB audio, I’ll either move the audio laptop to this monitor or get a 40-50” TV for it too, depending on space.

Honestly the nicest feature to me on new monitors is a USB-c connection. A lot of monitors can run the display, usb hub AND power over that connector. Single cable to hook it up.

1 Like

wow 50 sounds huge must be nice, my desk is 60W X 24D so I’ll need something smaller than 50" probably but I’m sure I want it to be curved and also sure that I don’t want to have it attached to an monitor arm, needs to be right on the desk.

def Huge haha is that still considered an ultra wide?

The Pretty H8 machine (photo DM’d) is 44” wide.

It is very nice when someone sends me a huge spreadsheet or project board. Instead of scrolling around on the laptop screen, I just drag the window up to the H8 and expand it to half the size of the monitor. Plenty of room for references & notes docs.

Black Friday where you at, btw do you guys even care about refresh rates on your monitors if they are strictly for music?

I don’t pay for more than 60hz, and I use my displays for PS4 Pro, Switch, office work and occasional non-FPS PC gaming.

High refresh rates usually require a resolution drop, and I’m team 4K all the way (except for my 5k iMac. Should have bought a Mac mini).

1 Like