Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #14: The Wu-Tang Edition

I even do this with my own stuff, there’s been occasions where I’ve been starting a new project and an hour in I think this sounds familiar and yep it’s just an echo of something I’ve already started and left rotting in my projects folder :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Haha yeah I hope it’s a similar case with myself, although I did spend an hour making Right Back At You by Mobb deep once and it took me a while before I realised

2 Likes

It’s good to hear all the wu related stuff people are posting.

-Here’s Another Rza produced beat from 94 that’s one of my favourite hip hop tracks from that era.
Although, none of Wu appear on it vocal-wise apart from Rza on the intro and hook

3 Likes

Been playing with drum patterns and chords through the soundpack, but my usual method of pulling youtube audio no longer works, and I don’t want to get too used to what I have before I pull those samples and my acapella.

(I know there are plenty of alternatives to getting youtube audio. Just have to make the time)

1 Like

out of interest what are peoples methods?

for a while now i’ve used

without issue, but non osx users may have different approaches.
this means having a complete file so alternatives for longer recordings is use soundflower or similar to grab snippets in ableton .

3 Likes

I can’t remember the last site converter I used…

I usually just google “YouTube to MP3”
And use whichever random result is working that day and isn’t just full of pop-ups telling me I’ve won a laptop and that women in my area want to sleep with me now!!

1 Like

I’ve not been tagged at the begining of this thread, but anyway, trying to finish this beat and will send you as soon it is finished.
Initially wanted to work on OT, but my wife wanted me to stay close to her while she looks at tv show, so I went with Deluge only, with a slice of sp303 vinyl comp.

Edit: which format would you like, .wav, .mp3?

1 Like

My typical method is to download the source using VLC, but the latest youtube update seems to have broken that. YouTube stream won’t open, which means you can’t get the codec info

1 Like

@LoomieDarko Sounds good! Just to be clear: everyone’s welcome to join! I have just tagged the people who participated before as a reminder.

I prefer wav as that sounds best!

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear all you guys’ final tracks, even if they sound like something that allready exists haha.

1 Like

same process here

One of my close friends produces Czarface!!! You should check his other work (not HipHop) Kendra Morris and That Handsome Devil (not to be confused with bands that have similar names). He also produced a bunch for another NYC HipHop artist Thirstin Howl III (amongst others here and there).

2 Likes

Love czrface and thirstin howl. Not bought any thirsten stuff in a long time though

Will check those other artists out

1 Like

Used to play this out every gig

2 Likes

Kendra sings soul type stuff and she is often sampled for Czarface beats. Godforbid, the lead singer of That Handsome Devil has some skit cameos on Czarface and was in a HipHop trio The Alaskan Fishermen with Thirstin…

1 Like

Can almost guarantee (by the sound and era) that my guy produced that

1 Like

This also was a fav.

2 Likes

I just sample real time in analog like you would from any other source

2 Likes

also haven’t started here aside from listening to the sources. might have to hide myself in the bunker to get this done at the last possible minute.

1 Like

on my mac, i installed youtube-dl via brew and aliased it to

yt: aliased to youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3

so typing yt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVC8KvjSqJs in a terminal downloads the whole thing, converted to audio mp3. then i can chop it up however in ableton. it’s quick and easy.

7 Likes