Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #14: The Wu-Tang Edition

Oh damn, I’m soooo not going to finish on time. I litterally carry my sp404 in my backpack everywhere, hoping to catch a moment to continue my beat… in vain.

Plus, first real beat on the sp… I’ve been into step sequencing for so long that my stuff sounds super wack and all over the place hahaha. Oh well, sounds kind of RZA-ish, I guess.

3 Likes

the wacker the better… just do it!

edit: after whining in here yesterday, i hunkered down on the couch while family was watching tv and blasted out something that will work. perfection is the enemy of good.

3 Likes

Yeah just get involved anyway if you can.

For what it’s worth I’ve just got home from work to listen to last nights work mastering my beat and it sounds like a bucket of crap.

And if I can’t fix it I’ll still post it anyway :smiley:

3 Likes

after studying older wu-tang this past week, here’s the formula:

• beats aren’t varied a whole lot, usually pretty steady use of one loop or sequence
  • beat timing isn’t super sloppy. sequenced stuff feels right on. loops land wherever.
  • backing track has a theme but not a ton of variation. they keep it simple and catchy.
  • mix leaves room for vocals up front; music feels very much like backing tracks, emphasizing the rhymes and personalities

at least that’s my novice assessment here. in that sense, if you’re going for that wu-tang sound, the music shouldn’t be too complicated. focus on keeping the track moving with lots of grit.

have i cracked the code?

4 Likes

Haha Yeah that’s pretty much a spot on assessment.

2 Likes

I think you pretty much got it… a lot of eastcoast hiphop from the early nineties follows this basic formula as well, repeated loops and leaving a lot of room for the vocals.

Within this framework I feel like RZA was pretty experimental though… not unquantised as much as intentionally sloppy with chops, tuning, and the mixing. The most wu tang thing is the sample selection I think… not taking things which sound like a regular pop song but finding samples/loops which are weird or at least unusual.

I’d say your tracks often sound pretty ‘wu-tang’ because of your original sample selection.

1 Like

Yeah I think that’s pretty much bang on, anything I make with an acapella in mind is kept reasonably simple, I try and keep it punchy and or catchy with plenty of room for the vocal, imho the rapper is the star or the show, I’m just trying to help tell the tale and set the scene… that’s my take on it…

2 Likes

Drums are mostly loops of old funk breaks, I‘d say rarely sequenced one shots, loops most of the time.

What I admire most about RZA - which is my favorite producer of all time just for the first bunch of wu tang and solo albums - is his ear for short loops. He‘s rarely going crazy on chopping, it’s really short loops most of the just pitched to fit the tempo. I listened to most original samples, I rarely would have take the exact section he took, they are often in between bars or not part of the main intro or hook etc. Often from very catchy soul songs, but taken out of context and pitched and looped, they got this grimy, spooky, rza signature. They just sound totally like him, even though they are just loops.
I love the vibe. He just had the ear for it!

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Today is the final day to submit a beat for this battle guys! I’ll put up a voting and feedback thread sometime on monday.

6 Likes

I’m totally off topic with my beat but I had lot of fun making it so I think mission is accomplished ^^

7 Likes

Didn’t get a chance to do anything this time, but really liked the rules for this one. Will be good to hear the entries!

2 Likes

It’s very fitting that Pitchfork posted this today on Instagram.

6 Likes

Just sent my track to Sleepy! Well, it’s quite wack and wonky but I like it haha.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear it! I’m not at all confident in my mixing, but what can you do? Just have to keep making things

2 Likes

Well, a Wu themed contest is quite permissive mixingwise haha. Can’t wait to hear what you guys made, the base material was top notch (@Sleepyhead that samplepack of yours will be used again and again!)

2 Likes

I think mine is worse :slight_smile:

1 Like

indeed! thanks @Sleepyhead. This was a good experience It showed me that I can come up with a hip hop beat that fits my taste, with just using oneshots. I don’t have to rely on sampling existing songs all the time

2 Likes

100%. I started two different beat ideas using @Sleepyhead’s pack alone before hitting on my final idea and submission. Very generous and well considered pack

1 Like