EP1 by Spectrin (aka Malarkyk)

Hey so I put my first EP as Spectrin out today - you can take a listen here!

Elektronauts has been so helpful to me over the past couple of years, so I want to share some yum codes for anyone who wants them:

Redeem the codes here: http://Spectrin.bandcamp.com/yum
x2bc-3tlx
4mv4-c7qp
4bgq-we62
exu7-c38h
b45v-ww7v
wcr8-xsa9
pjl3-es3t
8fs5-udd7

Some background:

I recorded the tracks a few months ago, mostly using digitone, digitakt and octatrack to put this together.

I started to record performances rather than writing and arranging in the box, and it instantly led to a more dynamic / perfectly imperfect stripped back sound. It was a real breakthrough for me, to leave the security of ableton behind. I recommend everyone try this at least once.

I decided once I had the tracks together that I should get them properly mastered, so ended up working with Rashad Becker (famous for his work with Basic Channel and Monolake, and more recently the likes of Holly Hearndon, various hyper dub releases) and I’m so glad I did, he did a great job and I’m really proud of how it turned out.

You can probably spot my influences in there - monolake/basic channel, rephlex, etc. I’m very proud of it, and I hope you enjoy it!

I hadn’t planned to release it for a while, partly because I have no idea how to do this stuff, but I shared it with some people to get some early thoughts and decided to play it on their shows which tipped my hand, so now it’s out! I’m massively thankful for their support.

The response to the EP has been lovely, it’s given me lots of creative energy. I’ve got 50 or so unfinished tracks so figuring out what I should finish next.

7 Likes

Thanks! I’m in the process of what sounds like a similar adventure as you describe in terms of performing with instruments instead of nitpicking in the computer.

So far I like your release ( I’m at the second track). Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks! How are you approaching your music making? It’s liberating in a sense but there’s lots of setup questions to solve!

1 Like

Very nice, right up my street.
I really like some of the percussion programming.

1 Like

thanks bud, appreciate that! I’ve had a few people tell me I need to open tracks with hooks, and maybe if I was more street smart I would, but I just wanted to start out with more hypnotic groove building.

1 Like

Nah do your own thing man.
I liked some of the sounds on your EP. It has a good feel, very expressive.

Not really my taste, but Fine work.

2 Likes

Fuck what people think, do what you want. There’s enough quality in this EP to prove you know what you’re doing compositionally.

1 Like

yeah it kind of feels wrong to compose for optimal streaming tbh. We’ll see how the next one goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you dear!

What did you use for Sero Sugar pads?
Lovely!

1 Like

That was digitone and a lot of layers of effects - the earthquaker dark reverb, old blood noise delay thing (i forget the names, sorry), strymon volante

It was a very pleasing one to make :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a nice response this week - got played on a few radio shows and nice reviews. Also got approached by a label about doing a vinyl release. This is all far beyond my expectations, and very nice!

I’m going to put stuff up on Spotify soon, so created an artist profile. Please follow me if you can - you don’t have to listen or like, but any follows would massively help get playlisted.

If you follow, let me know and I’ll send you a code for the bandcamp release :slight_smile: