Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

Can’t tweak the sound ?
Seems weird.

1 Like

Sounds really good (really good) but the interface is putting me off a fair bit.

2 Likes

That’s what Stimming says at least.

1 Like

Good, fun and honest review taken into consideration that he only had it for a short time. I agree about the quirks like the missing way to manually trigger sounds while tweaking them and the excessive volume boost applied by the distortion types. I hope to see these changed/fixed. A little gain boost is fine but great boosts are just not helpful in a live situation so I think there should be some auto volume compensation. But it’s good to see that he likes it.

1 Like

Agree. It sounds great but it looks a bit of a pain in the arse to program. It might be easier if you’re familiar with the workflow but it seems not to be intuitive straight out of the box.

Yeah, feels like a few firmware updates will sort it, might come back in a year or so when it’s a bit more mature.

Still looks great though, and pretty good for £500.

2 Likes

I seem to spend the majority of my time looking for THE drum machine…

3 Likes

If they added microtiming and the ability to edit sounds while live triggering, I might be interested. Even with those features added though, I can’t see a situation where the Digitakt with a large set of good drum samples wouldn’t be superior in every way.

The kit morph the LXR does is interesting, and I can’t think of any way to do something comparable on the digitakt. Sequencing the LXR with the Digitakt or an OT gives you the best of both worlds imo.

2 Likes

That’s a very good point, I agree with you. For the morph type stuff though I would probably just use a drum synth VST and make a big folder of trippy stuff like that, load it in the DT, and there you go, all set. It would be fun to pair with a Digitakt assuming that a firmware update allows sounds be triggered while edited.

It’s not superior, what do you mean? It’s like saying we don’t need synths but just fully loaded samplers which is an entirely different thing to play and inferior to a real expressive synth or drum synth.

2 Likes

Eh not really what I’m saying, anyway the Digitakt is a drum synth (not quite in the way the LXR is, but it still is), it doesn’t just play back static samples, so you can go pretty far in terms of expressiveness and modulation with a good set of samples. Envelopes, filters, LFOs, drive, crush, delays, retriggering ability, etc etc the DT has plenty of sound shaping. I think with a big fat pack of LXR sample chains on the Digitakt with plenty of variations on each drum sound in each chain, you’re good to go. Don’t get me wrong though, this is still sick and it would be extra fun to have both.

Ah so using it with waveforms as oscillators? Then I understand.

Not just that, using drum samples too (on DT). You can take a drum sound and shape the transients, frequencies, speed, etc. Using the delay, retriggers, other FX paired with the ability to resample, you can “synth” up most drum sounds you could want on the Digitakt as long as you have a good amount of source material. I’m also referring to the programming and usability of the Digitakt versus this though, the Digitakt is pretty superior from what I’ve seen so far. Hey, sometimes a more esoteric or wonky interface can be fun though and push you in new directions.

1 Like

To be fair, there’s more sound shaping parameters on the Digitakt than there are on most dedicated drum synths.

Fucksake, now I’m regretting selling my DT again.

3 Likes

I really need to buy Microtonic and make a big fat folder of weird drum sounds for my DT… Has anyone received the LXR-02 yet? Curious to hear more thoughts and demos.

3 Likes

Regardless of the sound shaping features of the Digitakt I think the LXR is a completely different experience with a much different sound. Probably you also hear that since you are interested.
And it’s not the interface that does it. Back on topic…

1 Like

OT does it better (for me anyway) im selling my DT. But here are the DT factory drum samples for the OT just incase you want a reminder Daktfactory (free samples)

1 Like

I wonder how this will compare with a Nord drum. I’ve never played a Nord drum but they seem awesome.

3 Likes

I already did this - I sampled every single stock sound from Microtonic and put them in folders according to their type. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll send you a Dropbox link. They are always on hand for me in the Digitakt.

Also I really enjoyed the Stimming overview of the LXR-02. Those distortion modes really bring out the beast!

7 Likes