Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

Similarly, my LXR hasn’t put my Rytm at risk, they have very different sound palettes. The LXR with a more conventional analog (or virtual analog) gives you the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Same here. It’s much different from the Rytm and I’ll be using both.

1 Like

… have the “original” lxr potions since ages in use…

and i was always impressed about the fact, that this damned only diy device i got, sounds soooo huuuuuge and fad and tight, like already mixed and compressed, straight to any big venue sound system…really breathtakin’…

and now…i must admit…in this erica replica version, even with volume fader hands on control and some additional spice, built like a tank in such a small footprint with even additional outputs…hmmmmmm…gonna add this to a live rig…
but no…no…no…first something else gotto go…
let me see…yup…anybody intrested in a mpc 2500 with jjos…?..500 bux…pm me… :wink:
we’ll see…er…hear…

1 Like

Glad to read this. I was surprised to find this too. I tested the compressor but found that it’s not really necessary. Already sounds very balanced and right in my mix with Digitone. I do run a slight compression on the Octatrack ins along with other effects.

Looking forward to explore more of what it’s capable of.

1 Like

Nope. No “true” sample playback capabilities, less fx, less pattern memory.

Different beasts, really.

Is there any indication as to when the supposed firmware update is dropping? The one referenced in the comments of Stimming’s video. Curious what they will fix/add.

3 Likes

The manual seems to imply that the snare voice will get FM. More specifically it says the voice doesn’t have FM “yet”.

That would be nice.

I’d also like to see easier copying/pasting of patterns, within the pattern menu. Could work by just holding the copy button, click a pattern (it begins blinking) and then click another pattern and it’s pasted there.

1 Like

Juno now have these in stock. You can also ask for a better price. https://www.juno.co.uk/products/erica-synths-sonic-potions-lxr-02-digital/835701-01/

Is this a new firmware?

https://www.ericasynths.lv/support/drum-synthesizer-lxr-02/

I don’t think so. On the 26th they wrote to me:
“ We’re working on future firmware updates, so new features are on the horizon.”

3 Likes

From Oora of Perfourmer fame:

2 Likes

For the record, the factory sd content for the lxr02 has some .snd kits and they do indeed work on the lxr01. You have to rename them in the lxr01 convention (ie P000-P126) then go into the mixer page and change the audio out and resave kit and settings. I think there’s a total of 89 kits in the various folders. Feliz drum synthing.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Anyone using a power bank with their LXR-02? Special cable needed (ripcord etc.)?

1 Like
7 Likes

Allright, so I just want to go back to what I wrote here and tame it a bit (or not ? :laughing:) , because… I bought one of these :stuck_out_tongue:

Long story short, having the memories of the LXR I built long ago, I tried this new version in a shop and had good fun with it. Being a sucker for drum machines, a small discount finished to convince me.

That said, a few thoughts:

• it’s not exactly cheap for what it does, yet the feature set feels just right for a drum machine
  • I maintain that a Digitone has much more to offer sound-wise, even for drums only
  • … but this one is much easier to improvise on, so if you’re into jams…
  • the firmware could be better, some limitations feel a bit archaic compared to Elektron machines (2 params automation… why ?). Overall it’s very similar to the first version.
  • some operations are not obvious so you will need the manual (which is included in the box), but after a while it all makes sense
  • I experienced a tact switch bug on sequencer button n°1, where the key press was not properly detected. I had to restart the unit. Seems fine now… don’t know what happened
  • speaking of restarting the unit… I also experienced boot failure. No error message, just empty screen.
  • in the same vein, second encoder tend to increment value without being touched
  • I had to open the unit because the outer screen was poorly assembled. The way it’s maintained in place (small pieces of glue/tape) is really not up to the rest of the build which is excellent (encoders screwed to the faceplate, I wish Elektron would do the same on all machines).
  • some default values are not very sensible, I’m glad they included an “initKit’” as a starting point
  • plenty of interesting kits in the sd card

I void warranties, so here are some pictures.

Outer screen being poorly glued to the case:

Naked front:

Naked back:

Will I keep this one or the Model:Cycles ? I don’t know yet, time (and updates !) will tell.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Just started watching… Trying to resist buying one.

It’s a really nice drum machine, sounds great. My one issue is that you can’t tweak and trigger the drum sounds at the same time, you have to program a sequence and then hit play while you edit the sounds. I hope they can fix this in an update. I’ve not used it much because of this.

1 Like