Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

Just got one of these for a steal on Reverb. I’m really excited about this little box. Going to be sequencing it with my Play.

2 Likes

Thanks, so that’s pretty much what I thought based on YT demoes.

Have one of these beauties arriving today!
Curious about the roll performance feature. It appears that it only goes to 16.
I feel like I’m going to miss my DrumBrute quick access to (1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32) performance buttons.
Can anyone enlighten me on how the LXR works with rolls in play mode? Seems off that it only goes to 16. I saw where Adelock stated that you could real time drum roll either 4, 8, 12, 16 or 32, but I haven’t seen the option for 32 in any of my research.

That’s right, no 32 option. I guess you could double the tempo and use 16 to get 32.

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking that might be the only “option”…
Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

I guess the reasoning might be that this machine is geared towards faster tempos in general.

On the DrumBrute I like using the dedicated buttons to quickly switch between roll speeds for dramatic building effect etc.

I’m curious how this will translate to turning a knob to get different time divisions.

I find it easier to get the timing right doing rolls on the LXR-02 than on the Drumbrute (i have both). You’re gonna love the LXR. Wait until you discover morph.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Do you not find it limiting to only get as high as 16? How is it using the knob to quickly change intervals while performing?

What genre of music do you generally perform with the LXR? I like making some hard driving beats, but generally lean towards a more industrial IDM or even Lo-Fi, Hip-Hop type of thing.

Edit: didn’t reply properly

Hi @francato. I’ve never tried using the knob to quickly change intervals while performing. I’m not sure why, it sounds like a fun thing to do. but that said, i’m not sure if it stays in time or not. I’m not at my desk, otherwise I’d check.

I play mostly techno with the LXR. I’ve really fallen in love with it. I’m constantly blown away by how deep this little box is. It seems more feature rich than any high-end drum machine I can think of. And with that richness comes some amount of fiddlyness and complexity, but to me it’s more than worth it. In truth, I think the UX is pretty good for how much it can do. Maybe i’m lucky, but i’ve never experienced any of the bugs people have talked about.

I definitely think it’s suited for most of your playing styles. Not sure about Hip Hop, but why not?

Now that i’ve gushed so much, I hope you end up liking it. Stimming almost made pass on it. And I love Stimming!

2 Likes

It goes to a maximum of 16 roll and it is limiting. Not sure why that is but there must be a technical issue since people are asking for it for ages and no update introduced it so far. Rolls are not that important for me but if you use them a lot you might miss them…

You can quickly change intervals while playing but it does take some time to feel the knobs right to be accurate. You can also use the big data knob for slower but more precise movements.

Hi HotdogLothario It just arrived late today! Excited to get fiddling :slight_smile:
Funny about Stimming… I love his reviews and felt the same about his “I wouldn’t use it everyday” comment.
I appreciate your help!

Hi Mati Thanks for your reply! I do enjoy the immediacy of adding in some quick ratchets with the dedicated buttons on the DrumBrute, but it certainly is more off a fun trick than actual composing :slight_smile:
I appreciate your help!

Anyone know how to control the kit morphing through midi ? The eurorack version can do this via CV but I couldn’t find a midi CC in the manual for the desktop version…

I think there’s still no CC for morph. It has been requested. If you can modulate it with CV on the module then they should add it on the Desktop too.

2 Likes

Anybody using a midi controller with it to have fast access to the parameters?

Yes, the digitakt is excellent for this. I also use my mpc but the dt is faster in this regard. I set up a sequence with the midi channels im using and then just copy it so i dont have to redo it everytime.

1 Like

Also touch osc isnt so terrible, still prefer hardware tho

You mean no CC. You wrote CV.

Confused me for a second there broski.

1 Like

This sounds great. Are you still using the lxr live? Would love to get a bit more about hope you are playing live such as how you structure your set, how much is improvised etc.

2 Likes

Correct! Thanks.

1 Like

Anybody got an example of the lxr going through an Acidbox?

1 Like