Erica Synths SYNTRX

weird…

this is the manual:

looks like the announcement page (your link) said that. but their current page does not. https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/standalone-instruments-1/syntrx/syntrx

which was always my understanding, well before I bought it a year ago.

2 Likes

Long and busy day of work. Finally, the moment came. I was only going to unpack it tonight so I wouldn’t wake my partner early in the morning. But then: why not plug it in and give it a spin?

Making a basic sound was easy. Then the Trapezoid stumped me. I was looking for the manual on my iPad when something on the matrix caught my eye: I was sending the Trapezoid to the Reverb when I should have been sending the Env Signal.

Conclusion: Syntrx is self documenting, sounds great, and is fun even when dead tired.

12 Likes

It’s so gorgeous. Enjoy!

And that’s why I have one … we can patch anything to anything creating the most strange ideas and even combine those … something we wouldn’t do with others modulars, just because we would missing the matrix :smiley:

1 Like

Synthesizers are great, and this is a wonderful place to discuss them.

5 Likes

The first oscillators wavefolder is so nice. Oftentimes I find myself using the first osc’s sine and the second osc’s triangle into the ringmod and getting absolutely lost in the moment.

There are so many incredible sounds to be found just by adjusting the oscillator levels and the trapezoid is perfect for creating a pulse into all kinds of beating waveforms.
It would be cool to see that style envelopes in other instruments too.

I really like how immersive the workflow is and how differently it makes me approach sound design. In some sense I see the Syntrx almost like the analog synth version of Octatrack. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

For those rare times when you don’t want to listen to the LED matrix: Press Recall + Shift to turn off the lights, turn a knob to wake them back up.

Source: Gearspace.com - View Single Post - SYNTRX

GAS risk: after less than 12 hours with the Syntrx, most of which were spent sleeping, I have a growing urge to buy a handful of condenser mics so I can record and integrate self-noise from all of the rest of my devices. :scream:

Slightly more seriously, placing the Syntrx on a stand makes it easy to finger-drum on the back panel to wake up the springs.

4 Likes

I found this is quite a good stand, good isolation from the table so you can use the reverb with external speakers at higher levels but also as you say you can give it a few taps to bring some life out of the spring. If you are using the reverb to FM an oscillator it can be pretty a pretty cool way to mess with it.

2 Likes

I hope “rubber infused cork” is actually just similar to synthetic wine-corks. Regardless, I bought that one. I may try the metal one out too for when I want the Syntrx to resonate with my work desk.

I just saw that Vintage King here in the US has them in stock, and on sale.

https://vintageking.com/erica-synths-syntrx-analog-synthesizer

Mine’s arrived! I’ve had about 20mins with it. It’s very nice:. We’re not in love yet, but I have much more to learn about and explore.

2 Likes

Turn it up, sounding great!

3 Likes

Mine traveled from Latvia to Utrecht in 4 days. And now it will take a rest for 3 days through the weekend at the ups facility in Utrecht before arriving at my door on Monday. Cruel, just pure cruelty

Edit: Early Christmas, it just arrived!

11 Likes

I really want to buy this but i havent heard anything i really like. Yes it does radiophonic stuff but how am i going to fit this in. Im not a Hainbach type. Is it limited to just this experimental stuff? Whats your take?

1 Like

It really is. I like how especially with fm and am patches the osc levels usually become like macros for the whole patch, and small level changes completely change whats going on.

You can make the first and second oscillator go into slower lfo rates if you sacrifice one axis of the joystick to pitch them down. The first ocs’s wavefolder can generate pretty cool modulation that way.

The trapezoid goes to fast audio rate when looping and “on” and “off” values are at zero. In that case adding attack makes it actually loop faster.

2 Likes

After 20mins playing, it’s not enough to have a proper opinion or to find out what I like most about it. I’m actually still unsure if it’s “right” for me at this time at all (it’s quite expensive and I could use that money to buy a mixer & FX which I probably have more “need” of - for some definition of “need”), or to redecorate my studio (which is highly worthwhile). I also suspect I’m in the wrong frame of mind for music at all at the moment: I find Christmas a bit stressful and I should probably wrap up the techno project I spent the last two months doing before starting anything new.

But my motivations for buying it are these:

• the spring reverb sound:
  • weird, sweepy, burbly noises, controlled by joystick
  • its sparse, dark, springy, clicky sounds will make great background textures for some techno
  • I sometimes hear patches in videos that lurch wildly from quiet and airy to raging electronic noise, and back, without intervention, and I’m fascinated to learn how to make those
  • The blend of clean, “circuits-only” synthesis with mechanical sound shaping (through the speakers and spring) is fantastic. And having one box do that, without having to set up an amp, spring tank (which I don’t have), mics and mixer … so easy
  • I’ve thought I wanted one since I saw it (because I felt the same about a Synthi/Putney) and am concerned they’ll only go up in price now they’re discontinued. I’m a bit gutted I didn’t leap on the kARP 2600m when they came out. Those doubled in price very quickly and were really pricey to begin with. This isn’t a creative reason to get one; only pragmatic; but also the main reason I got it now.

So, yeah, I think “experimental” is where it’s at. I can get “sweepy, weird” from a couple of my other synths (BC16 & MS-20 in particular)… but the electro-acoustic aspect, patching, and the form factor are very appealing.

If you don’t like what you hear in videos, don’t get one. I love most of what I hear in videos. They’re like the “missing part” of the sounds I hear in my head, compared with the rest of my synth collection. I suspect slowly I have been building towards a collection that’ll help me make Equinox-era Jean-Michel Jarre type music, despite mostly listing to more dance-floor oriented music for the last 30 years.

(This was very rambly. I think the coffee’s kicked in!)

7 Likes

This is the kind of advice that’ll ensure I keep it. Will have a proper go with it over the weekend.

2 Likes

What makes the Syntrx experimental are all those patching options. We can go wild, but we don’t need to.

I have used the Syntrx as a full, deep, and organig bass, or for other more traditional sounds. IMO the VCOs have a very rich and organic sound and the filter is also great.

To use the Syntrx mainly like any other subtractive synth would IMO be quite expensive, even if the sound is great.

2 Likes

Yes my take is im not seeing it as a seperate instrument. I think by itself it would struggle to keep me entertained without other FX or complimentary instruments. But it does bring something different for sure

Equinoxe 4 baby!

2 Likes