Erica Synths SYNTRX

Im not sure the original was intended to be rack mounted or played at an angle.

Indeed. Letā€™s hope there is a way to tighten it up somehow. Let us know when youā€™ve hear back from them.

1 Like

A question for people having a Syntrx: I find it a little difficult to set oscillators to a precise value because when I change direction when tweaking, there is a little inertia and then I often miss the spot Iā€™m after.

Meaning that, say, I am looking for a higher frequency, and turn to the right. I overshoot a bit, and want to turn left, just a hair. The start of the turn does nothing for a few millimeters, then starts and makes me miss the spot again, often.

Is it normal behaviour that these (otherwise amazing) knobs have that inertia when starting turning them in the other direction?

3 Likes

Maybe the EMS ones werenā€™t. Erica sell a rack kit for the Syntrx so you would hope theyā€™d have planned for/tested this.

2 Likes

I have had two original joysticks on my VCS3 (I traded my short one to a tech who was restoring a customerā€™s Synthi for their longer version, as the short one fit better in their case). Neither of them had had any issues of the sort. If anything, the longer one I have now feels a bit stiff compared to the shorter one I had before (donā€™t even think about it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind a tiny bit more friction in my Syntrxā€™ joystick. It mostly stays where I leave it when the Syntrx is sitting upright in its guitar stand, but occasionally will droop a bit.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested in seeing what kind of joystick theyā€™ve used. The originals simply turned a couple of standard pots inside.

not rack-mounted. not sure thereā€™s a way to do that even. but you gotta think it was intended to be played at an angle. unless you remove the keyboard (which you can do), it would be kind of awkward to play it flat/fully-opened.

1 Like

It is easy to find an identical-looking joystick module on AliExpress and other parts sites, but I wasnā€™t able to find a view that showed obvious tension screws. Iā€™m also not yet brave enough to open my Syntrx and disassemble the joystick module. (more accurately: Iā€™m brave enough, just too lazy)

3 Likes

I am definitely NOT brave enough. Iā€™m kinda amazed I even tried to rack-mount it. I felt a little sad taking the wooden sides off :laughing:.

2 Likes

Looking at the position of the joystick it doesnt appear to be dead centre?

Forget that it looks actually very stiff when he moves it. Almost like a gear stick in a car.

2 Likes

Just received my Syntrx the other day. Absolutely love it but also notice these two ā€œissuesā€. Iā€™ve got mine mounted on a slight angle on a guitar stands but do notice it can sometimes droop. Hopefully thereā€™s a solution to tension it.

I remember the vernier knobs on a VCS3 at my university used to be pretty tedious to get precise pitch values, but that could also have been something to do with its 40 year old unserviced electronics.

Iā€™m not in front of the unit now but a possible solution could be to sacrifice the joystick and use either axis range knobs to fine tune the oscillators. Iā€™ve done this to extend the range of the filter when itā€™s being modulated by the trapezoid. Obviously that doesnā€™t work so well if the joystick droops. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I got this reply from Erica regarding the loose joysticks:

The Joysticks are a bit loose - this slightly varies from unit to unit. Unfortunately, there is no way to tighten it! I hope despite this you still find your SYNTRX useful and have fun with it!

4 Likes

Got lucky with mine!

1 Like

Oh yes, this is essential :slight_smile: for full stick joy.

I just wish mine didnā€™t droop when the unitā€™s vertical(ish). Mine holds up for about half the range of motion. I can ā€œsolveā€ this by rearranging my room and laying the Syntrx flat again.

1 Like

:rofl: to that response in relation to a Ā£2500 machineā€¦

1 Like

Sadly, yes.

my takeaway is just that they shouldnā€™t have sold the rack ear option if they couldnā€™t guarantee that the joysticks would all be useful in that configuration. so itā€™s less about the cost of the machine itself and more about the cost of the rack ears.

1 Like

But it looks so niceā€¦

(And is otherwise very usable in this configuration. My room could do with a bit more light thoā€™)

1 Like

I use mine almost horizontal but tried to put it vertical and it seems the joystick holds. It has some slight resistance when I touch it and it doesnā€™t feel too loose.

Iā€™m not writing that to show off but to share that it seems they are not all the same.

2 Likes