Erica Synths SYNTRX

So, ordered a Syntrx…

I know that the Syntrx is not meant to be a Synthi clone. But as I’m not really familiar with this kind of workflow where you can only patch with a matrix, I thought it would be a good idea to read something about it before I get my Syntrx. It’s quite a different way of thinking for me. But as a huge fan of feedback patches, I’m sure I’ll enjoy the ride.

The Synthi Educational Handbook

7 Likes

Got it today and already love it… Much better than expected.
Edit: Really love the spring reverb!
My only problem is the brightness of the LEDs for now… Why is it so overly bright?

4 Likes

It’s such a magical instrument!! Mine is sent to Latvia atm for the input DC-coupling mod and I already miss it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah if it’s the same, you can’t get any easier to solder and replace. You wouldn’t even need to touch the solder at the board, just at the pots.

Also notice the four screws at the corners. Would be really easy to get access to the mechanism, and come up with ways to improve its motion. Just cut that little seal.

3 Likes

To encourage you to use the lower level connections :wink:

One thing about that surprised me. The oscillators distort going into the mixer at quite a low level. I don’t usually mind, and the distortion’s a nice tone. But I was expecting to get a much wider range of level before distortion by using the 30% matrix setting… but it doesn’t seem to be the case. It seems like the 30% setting defines the signal’s output from the mixer, rather than its input.

2 Likes

I did a very unscientific experiment but I feel like I got less distortion going into the filter, if I ran the oscillators through the envelope first. Obviously this is only applicable if using the envelope otherwise there may be a way to “hold” it open. Once again, I’m not in front of the machine but from memory I remember I could get 2 oscillators up to 12 O’Clock without the usual distortion. Will conduct some more precise experiments later on. :slight_smile:

But otherwise, such a beautiful instrument and so much fun to experiment “what ifs” with.

5 Likes

Received mine today after it sat in customs for over a week. They kept telling me the description is too vague…uh…musical instrument, synthesizer…how vague is that.

But, it’s super cool…I dont make music, just enjoy different pieces of equipment and this with my Pulsar 23 is just so interesting…just fun sitting around fiddling with both of them.

11 Likes

Just uploaded these recordings made with Syntrx and OTO Bam

Edit: added some more recordings

4 Likes

I like rx00 and rx000

1 Like

Thanks. Somehow rx0 is my favourite. It sounds like it’s sequenced by something else and OTO Bam sounds quite good there. Love it.

1 Like

Same here … I have always a tuner nearby :wink:

Do you experience nce the same with the frequency knobs, that they are actually quite difficult to set precisely when going from one direction to the other?

1 Like

I find the first few N of turning force on the dial doesn’t move the value very much, but I don’t feel I have less control that other synths. in theory the longer travel-per-Hz should make them more accurate but I’m not sure I experience it like that.

1 Like

Yes … If the patch-working allows, I let one of the frequencies allone and use this one to tune the others by ear :smiley:
But that dead angle, where nothing seems to change, is on all three pots.

1 Like

I’ve been exploring my Syntrx now after the CV-mod with the A4 and it’s obvious that this is a perfect pair and that the modding really opened things up in a big way.

My current setup is CV A pitch VCO1, B pitch VCO2, C gate and D modulation, it’s cool how with the A4 you can basically have modulation “busses” since you can for example use a mix of LFOs and envelopes to one destination.

It’s hard to tell how A pitch VCOs 1&2, B gate, C mod1 and D mod2 setup would be different.
I kinda like the idea of having both osc’s CV scalings accessible when having an arp or a sequence running.

I have never had this kinds of musicality and experimental madness in my fingertips before, so much potential in this setup. :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

How do you embed Syntrx in your setup (and how do you sequence it)?
Hell - I love it. But not sure if it adds any value to a Black System III (apart from spring reverb).

Cheers!

I’ve found it to be so much more than just the weird drone source in my setup.
That was the initial idea.

It really is a very special instrument used in a more traditional (musical) way bcs of the way it sounds and of course the routing possibilities and the ease of creating strange patches.

I must say again after spending more time with it after the modding, it really made this so much more fun to use especially with the A4 as a seq and mod source.
I would highly recommend the mod for anyone with some cv sources available.

Often times it’s hard to believe how good it sounds and it’s perfect for getting tracks started. I think it’s my favourite analog synth ever already.

4 Likes

Mine’s currently set up in a really basic way. MIDI in. Audio out to my patchbay (i don’t have a mixer yet). If I want to process external sources, I plug them in direct.

My next set-up will include a mixer, and I’ll treat the Syntrx as two separate devices/channels. This will let me use the spring as an FX send for anything else.

1 Like

What a great idea! I think I want it to be kept simple for now though, otherwise I get lost quite fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. After initially just making all the robot-speaking VCS3 type noises I could, I found that under its grungy exterior, there’s some really beautiful stuff in here for melodic material. Especially if you play with the waveshaping.

I didn’t plan this jam and it’s pretty rough but somehow ended up channeling some late 90’s optimism and created a small track around the Syntrx. The main melody is Syntrx, also the obligatory noise sweep but also a 606 running through the external in, which would then be dropped in and out for rhythmic accents. All at once. All tweaked by hand, hence why not much else happens as my hands were all occupied. :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes