Erica Synths SYNTRX

haha yeah if the frame buzz came in gradually I might like it but it really is when you hit specific resonances and is a pretty jarring metallic sound. Maybe I will open it up and poke around today.

1 Like

had a little play patching it up with the 0-ctrl and strega today, there is something special about the vernier dial in this sort of context, you can just make some very deliberate sweeps to the pitch with the granularity it give you.

6 Likes

I feel like Erica could potentially lose a few customers with this kind of mildly misleading tactic. As mentioned earlier, I had a similar experience before buying my MKI enquiring about the possibility of a MKII. Was told it wasnā€™t going to happen. Then told later that the MKII is different enough to be a different synth. Then why not call it something else other than a Syntrx MKII?

I love Erica stuff and have supported them for years but thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve felt slightly pooped-upon by a synth company. Maybe Iā€™ve just been lucky until now.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think there is always a balance for companies to walk with that stuffā€¦ DSI has always been really good to me with questions like that. I wouldnā€™t say Erica up and lost me or anything, but I am likely to be more hesitant about their stuff. End of the day I got the Syntrx for what it does, and it does it really well.

2 Likes

Yes it definitely wasnā€™t the best communication. Especially as they made it sound like it was kinda the last chance to get a new one.

Itā€™s a really good synth so not a big deal but I would probably have gone for MK2 especially considering the price difference

1 Like

A US Amazon seller is offering the Decksaver for $99 with prime shipping. Thatā€™s less than either direct from Decksaver or from Erica, so I pulled the trigger. Should be here Monday.

Is it pricey? Yes, it is.
Is the Syntrx worth it? Absolutely!

If I had access to a nice CNC mill, it might be fun to carve out custom lids from layered Marine Plywood. Until then Iā€™m pretty happy with my Decksavers on other devices.

The decksaver and bag arrived a couple of days ago. It all fits together very snuggly and securely. Much better than keeping it when unused in its increasingly tatty cardboard box.

1 Like

I have the first bag, and itā€™s great, but I worry about losing the little foam block that protects the joystick. Decksaver + bag should be perfect.

I think it might be a reissue of the original bag as it came with a small foam block with a hole in it for the joystick. But clearly pointless with the decksaver. The internal strap works very well to hold the lid in place when hauling the thing around. All vey satisfactory (if expensive - bag, decksaver, postage and customs fees to the UK came to over Ā£200ā€¦)

yeah looks like Sweetwater, B&H and Perfect Circuit have them for $99. not in stock though. so youā€™re lucky to have found that ā€œdealā€ on one from Amazon.

you could always sell the mk1 to fund a mk2. probably would come out around even. might be best to wait a bit though, until the mk2ā€™s have been out for a bit and we start seeing used units pop up.

theyā€™re decently different synths. the mk2 seems tamer to me, while the mk1 is a bit more wide open and pure. BUT I havenā€™t played a mk2 yetā€¦

1 Like

Does it have a Negorod tag?

https://instagram.com/negorodworkshop

Apparently he is into synths, not just fashion:

not obviously (sadly)

1 Like

A word one wouldnā€™t usually associate with Erica Synths :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Re: the bag, I considered one for my v1 when I bought it but they sold out before I pulled the trigger.

Iā€™m torn between getting one now or a Thomann flightcase. Iā€™m thinking the case is the longer-lasting option, plus I donā€™t really lug the Syntrx around. I use it in the studio, not on the go. Just need something to protect it when stored. But that bag does look good.

1 Like

I like soft bags for storage because I rent and soft bags are much less likely to do damage. I keep the boxes where possible for transport and would use a Pelican if shipping / flying.

2 Likes

and you able to fix this moment?

No.
I donā€™t trust myself to try. Erica said they just buy a lot sticks and some are better than others. They offered to replace it but Iā€™d have to send it to them and pay for a new stick. I will eventually do this (and get the DC-coupling mod) but not yet. Mine is usable when the unit is horizontal, so I play it that way.

1 Like

Iā€™m not really complaining. but sometimes i want tighter sensitivity. in general is great for me.

and someone tell me for what and how can i use ch1/ch2 outs? what can i get by using these patches?

Only oneā€™s creativity is the limit really. The output filters sound amazing and those alone are a powerful tool for making interesting stereo-patches. Iā€™m not sure I understand your question as there are so many ways to benefit from the two output channels, using one of them for outboard fx would be one obviously as it also has audio inputs for further processing.

I meant ch1/ch2 outs on matrix in the upper left corner)