Erica Synths SYNTRX

You can use those for modulating stuff with the output signal.
No no-input feedback unfortunately bcs there is no boosting the signal.

1 Like

I received my Syntrx decksaver today from Amazon. Shipped from Amazon, sold by Kellards.
Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 3.06.45 PM

Syntrx & Lyra with their respective Decksavers on, both sitting on guitar stands.

Close up view of the pads. The ā€œmarblingā€ is much more apparent in the photo than IRL. Seems to be an interaction between the adhesive and light angle.

Close up of the dense foam that protects and grips the wood sides.

Initial observations:

• The plastic is smoked like the Launchpad Pro Mk3 decksaver, unlike the clear SOMA-branded Lyra decksaver.
  • While the fit of the plastic is loose like the Soma decksaver, the dense foam edging gives it a tight fit. The foam is beveled so that the decksaver slides on easily. My guess is that the foam is neoprene, although it doesnā€™t have that new wetsuit smell.
  • Iā€™ll be surprised if the foam is still in good shape in a decade, but itā€™s easy enough to buy new foam and glue it in place. If the foam does fall off, Iā€™ll look into replacing it with felt strips.

Overall: considering this is a ~$3k synth designed to replicate the experience of a ~$20k synth and I really love working with it, $100 feels like an acceptable price to pay. I would be happier at $25 or $50, but the attention to detail is very good and Iā€™m sure the sales volume will be minuscule compared to a CDJ decksaver or even the Launchpad Pro decksaver.

Edit: I havenā€™t actually put the Syntrx into the Negorod bag, but I expect it will fit easily.

5 Likes

Juno have the Decksaver in stock. Ā£43 if you ask for best price.

1 Like

Decided to work the syntrx into a ā€œmobileā€ system should be good fun for deep sound exploration. Still need to go get some more 4M velcro stuff to pop in those wooden spacers behind the makenoise duo.

19 Likes

you got those Aphex Twin modular vibes goingā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m happy with my Mk1, but a bit of a shame they canā€™t update the matrix. When I read about the Mk2 I must admit I hoped that we would get an update. Also I wondered if it would be possible to install that recordable joystick onto a Mk1ā€¦

Just received my decksaver, and it looks great. Itā€™s very tight to slide on, but I guess the foam will give a bit over time.

1 Like

Badass!

1 Like

Just pulled the trigger on an original Syntrx. Back when they announced the Syntrx 2 I thought it would be the obvious pick. Itā€™s cheaper and has a sequencer and the matrix doubles as a piano roll. It seemed like a no-brainer. But it became a brainer. I canā€™t get that creamy little elephant outta my mind. Iā€™m sure the S2 is going to be another awesome success for Erica. But the original Syntrx is just such a beauty with that color and knobs and built in speakers, and the spring reverb. Itā€™s a lovable unusual oddball of a science experiment. I love that. Canā€™t wait.

12 Likes

It is quite lovely in person. Something about those Vernier dials makes it seem special, like 50ā€™s test equipment or something. All the other controls are solid as well, but I do wish the joystick had a bit more resistance to it.

Also the manual is ridiculously large:

Iā€™ve only had several hours with it but yeah, pretty amazing. Itā€™s going to be front and center on the desk, as a massive-sounding synth but also an fx processor, routing signals to and from the DAW interface through it.

12 Likes

Good choice!

1 Like

Great pics!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a Syntrx Mk1 incoming from a trade (said goodbye to my Cirklon V1), so Iā€™m devouring videos at the moment. This one just popped up in the last couple of days; probably my favorite thing Iā€™ve heard on the Syntrx so far. Sounds luscious! Iā€™m blown away that this is a single take ā€“ Iā€™m trying to grok how he managed to get the drone, percussive bass, and melodic line out of it all at the same time.

Thereā€™s a second Syntrx song by the same musician that feels straight out of the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross ā€œSocial Networkā€ collab. Note quite as impressive as drums are coming from a TR-8S, but still cool musically:

7 Likes

Duophony and clever per-oscillator modulation?

Youā€™ll love the Syntrx. Completely replaced modular for meā€¦ both as a patchable synth and fx processor.

What was really unexpected is the value of saving the matrix patches. Not that you can recreate a sound that you had previously (highly unlikely, like a Lyra) but when you have some cool interactions happening with the oscillators and filters, you can flip thru the previous patches youā€™ve saved and a whole new sonic world opens up. Iā€™ve got over 20 patches of my own so far and switching between them with different knob settings is so inspiring.

6 Likes

I thought the second osc had to follow the same gate pattern as the first. Any idea how the player in the video seems to get the oscs playing different rhythms?

I just re-created it from what I could see in the video and itā€™s a pretty interesting patch.

From the comments, regarding playing it duophonically:

I assume CV1 controls VCO1, and CV2 controls VCO3 (in keyfollow mode). I havenā€™t tried this and assumed that VCO3 would follow CV1 (as the manual implies that only VCO2 follows CV2 when itā€™s plugged in, but VCO2 isnā€™t used here).

Thereā€™s no gate being sent from the MIDI-CV converter, or itā€™s not being used here, as gate triggers the trapezoid circuit which isnā€™t connected to anything in the patch.

The rhythmic pulse is coming from the S&H circuit, ring-modded with VCO3ā€™s pulse wave (possibly attenuated a little). S&H circuit is switched to VCO3 on the top switch, and VCO3+S&H on the bottom switch, so both the S&H pulses and VCO3ā€™s triangle wave come through. The pulses from the S&H bring out the pulse wave rhythmically, with movement from the triangle wave somehow.

VCO1 is a pretty standard sawtooth into the filter, which is the lead from what I can tell.

The joystick controls the output level, but considering both the ring mod and filter outs are controlling the level of the left and right outs respectively, moving the joystick to the left thins out the sound almost like PWM. Amazing idea.

Yeah, a really strange patch, but it sounds incredible. I was starting to think the Syntrx was a totally unnecessary luxury purchase just for making weird bleepy sounds, but damn, that patch is really something.

3 Likes

Video here (processing now, will be a little while), quite wild when VCO1 and VCO3 pitches are assigned to joystick!

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I seem to remember patching a CV into CV1 or CV2 defeats the midi input on whatever channel you plug, I actually was hoping it would work as an offset to midi when I tried (something I used to do with the Pro2) but that should give you the the option to just plug in a dummy cable if you want VCO2 to drone and still use midi on VCO1 and get something similar going with out a CV converter.

Seems like an interesting but simple patchā€¦ have to say seeing it in action isnā€™t making it easy to list up my syntrxā€¦ maybe I will wait

1 Like

Donā€™t do it.

1 Like

Mine is this video. Itā€™s the Syntrx 2, but tomato tomato:

4 Likes