Erica Synths SYNTRX

Very cool. When I was watching that video on the Strega, they mention that they got the idea of having many different points of different saturation from Alexandro’s Synthi. Like, at every level there is a way to saturate the signal. Did Erica bring that concept over to the Syntrx?

It seems like it to me but I am not totally sure how similar it is, the mixer matrix is buffered on syntrx so it does act different than a synthi but I really like the sort of saturation I get from sending my digitakt signal through it. You can use the joystick to add extra saturation on the output volume but there are also lots of places to feedback and saturate. Like low level feedback on the mixer matrix for the reverb sounds like a totally different saturation than the feedback from the reverbs feedback knob. Also all the various level controls I would say 1-5 is pretty clean and then 5-10 starts to get saturated and distorted if you push enough things into that range but you can use the attenuated pins in the matrix to level stuff out a bit if you want to try to push the saturation at different points in the synth.

2 Likes

Ok cool, thanks.

5 Likes

Well, that’s cured the GAS I was feeling for a Matriarch.

Made this if folks here are interested in SFX design for videogames, used the Syntrx to come up with a bunch of interesting sounds for this.

18 Likes

all I can say is WOW. excellent sounds and awesome looking game. like a super hard version of Asteroids (as if that game wasn’t hard enough!).

super inspiring to see people do shit like this. keep it up!

1 Like

Very kind of you to say thank you :slight_smile: yeah the game is quite tough at the moment heheh

Awesome!

1 Like

I really enjoyed this video. So much fun and more interesting than a ‘regular’ tutorial.

1 Like

Ah I’m glad folks like it, going to do one more with the Syntrx and then start using the Humble Audio Quad Operator so there will be more sound design stuff soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOVE it. Excellent work, on the sounds, the game and its visuals. I especially like the “reflection” of the player’s bullets on their ship (and the sounds).

1 Like

Thanks!

Got another Syntrx sound design video here - this time creating dark industral ambience:

4 Likes

Someone offered to trade me this for my udo super 6. I just play as a hobby, jam for fun. I never record. I know they’re so different and I’ve never played this. This looks so cool and sounds so interesting!! Anyone play both have any thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve played both, and own a Syntrx, don’t really plan on ever giving it up. But also they aren’t really something I would compare. Syntrx is essentially a Synthi in workflow and is really heavily about AM modulations, feedback loops, and just routing audio in ways you wouldn’t think of normally. Much faster than working with eurorack, it is a limited tool set, nothing on it really works like it would on a traditional synth and the matrix gives you a crazy amount of creative freedom. I guess they are both a modern take on an older design in some ways, Udo almost being a modern take on a roland synth.

Syntrx is also a pretty crazy device for audio processing but I am not sure if that is something of interest to you if you are just wanting to do jams. Great for creating sounds to sample if that is your cup of tea, I have more or less made a full drum kit using it to design and then sample. I guess it is hard for me to think from the perspective of someone who would just want to jam with it? It is very much a sound exploration device, always fun to jump in and fiddle with it. You can make some cool mono sounds, aswell as duophonic if you have a CV controller that let’s you.

6 Likes

Started listening to demos of the LXR-02 that led me to listen to demos of all Erica Synths stuff. Syntrx has such a gritty, mean sound. And the design is goooooorgeous.

some lucky people are going to be living that bubbling music xD

I’m really interested in the Syntrx but the sound demos vary a lot so I’d like to ask from people here who own one or has experience of playing one, is it any good? Is it great?

What would be your main reasons for going with the Erica version vs. the Behringer? (politics aside)

It’s a lot of fun, I think the digitally controlled mixer is pretty great. Since getting my syntrx I’ve gotten to spend some time with a real synthi and the digital matrix is faster to work with to me. The gainstaging is pretty different on the syntrx but yeah you can make it sound softer by dialing back the levels. Behringer version isnt out so I can’t really speak to why I didn’t get that other than who know when it will come out, could be year and years still.

4 Likes