Export OT midi to DAW

Hello,

this might be stupid question, yet it would improve my life a lot so I’m daring to ask anyhow :smiley:

I’m trying to find if there is a way to export midi form my OT to my DAW (Cubase).
I’m using the OT as brainstorming tool to create new songs. In that setup, my OT sends midi to different drum machines, synths,… At a certain time, when my ideas are mature enough to switch over to Cubase, it would be so handy if I can just ‘dump’ the different midi notes trigs from OT to Cubase. So that Cubase can then take over and trigger these external machines in exactly the same way as the OT did. This Including aspects like microtiming or whatever parameter an LFO could control.

thanks!
Michael

AFAIK, the only way is to slave OT clock and transport to Cubase and record the midi on the desired channels / tracks in Cubase. If you want to record midi channels only, make sure the audio tracks have midi note send disabled. There’s no midi file export function on the OT.

2 Likes

Not natively / there is no midi file export on the Octatrack.

You either need to record the midi out into your DAW, or use a 3rd party software like OctaEdit [*] that has midi export functionality built in.

[*] Disclaimer: I’m the developer of OctaEdit, so might be a little biased,

10 Likes

thanks for they info! I didn’t know it was possible to record midi sent out by OT into my DAW. That could be a good solution! I’ll investigate this, and also the OctaEdit :wink:

2 Likes

What are they teaching kids in school these days?! /s

This is worth reflecting on - this is literally what MIDI is for.

We send MIDI data into and out of devices that know how to interpret it.

If recording MIDI notes & CCs from a keyboard or controller into a DAW makes sense, then recording MIDI notes & CCs from the OT into a DAW should make sense. It’s just data sent over
the wire with a serial protocol. No magic, just 1980s tech. :^)

4 Likes

Haha you’re right! My school didn’t teach me this though :stuck_out_tongue:
But yeah I didn’t think about it because I never record midi into my DAW with a keyboard neither :smiley:
I’ll give it a try though!
thanks

That’s rad. :smiley: - you’re on your way.

What kind of tunes do you make? Do you have any recordings online?

I’m still on track to finish my first song :smiley: Don’t know when that will be though. It will depend on how fast I learn about technologies like midi and CV and so :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

All right, good luck. Never give up.

I’m a bit late to the party here, its 2023 now!
what I want to do is record/export the midi notes from the octatrack arp to my DAW.
how can I do it?

Set OT midi track with arp data to desired channel eg 1.
Set daw midi channel to recieve on midi channel 1.

Press play on OT, record on DAW.

Done.

Thats recording Midi from OT to DAW, not exporting. Recording happens in real time, export is an offline operation, possibly quicker than real time but not always.

(For those that dont know, MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Information)

3 Likes

awesome!
this, i assume, must happen via midi din to audio interface?
(or is midi over usb also possible?)

1 Like

Yes.

The OT does not send MIDI over USB.

4 Likes

thanks for bringing me up to speed!

I’ve been thinking about recording midi data to the computer to store patterns.
I figure you can pick a raw sound (square wave), sustain maxxed, no decay or attack, then record the audio to Ableton. Then use the audio to midi conversion and get most of the data.

1 Like

Correct.
As the manual and @PeterHanes confirms, octatrack USB is for data transfer between the CF card and a computer. No midi over usb.