Expressive E Osmose

Beat me to it!

1 Like

I’ve never been as excited for any instrument.
I’ll just lock down for a month or two when it arrives.

1 Like

Haha, I wouldn’t wanna stay at home in summer :grinning: but maybe with that new carrying case and a battery pack we can play outside?

2 Likes

Ahhh… that’s such a beauty! I never got excited by anything mpe, finding the interfaces weird, the dreams of generic instrument playing any sound weirder, but here, a familiar interface, augmented, and a set of sounds designed with the instrument… Today I feel sad that I let pass the cheaper price offer two years ago. Beauty!

Really exciting stuff. When I first preordered I had just got into synths and was thinking this thing is something really special. I’ve realized how game-changing it really is now. It truly will be one of those instruments that limiting yourself to it alone will be, possibly, the best way to play it. I’m most excited to see how well it fits with acoustic mixes and how it sounds through amps

2 Likes

Does anyone know where to order this from in the Uk? And a release date? Cheers

The Osmose was only available to pre-order directly from Expressive E and is not currently available to order.

The release date is currently TBC. Hopefully some point in Q1 2022.

2 Likes

Cheers

hmm… anyone here tried the Osmose at Superbooth? I wonder if Eagen Matrix has some nice Piano presets…

thanks - quite interesting!

Sadly, just like I thought … hmh … I wonder how the Osmose compares to a Piano keybed (pressure wise etc.) - time will tell and I‘ll be looking for a nice Piano emulation in software.

Highly unlikely.

A keybed design that emulates an acoustic piano feel needs to have hammer escapement, which would add to the size of the Osmose keyboard.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keybed/

1 Like

I’m expecting Osmose to be fairly similar to how the Touché felt - ie 49 mini touche’s! A gross over simplification but the best I can think of.

On that basis alone, it’ll play vastly different to a piano. I’m expecting a very light touch vs a pianos heavier feel for sure.

1 Like

A video which gives a better view of the hammer escapement of a real piano. Look at the size of those suckers!

I should have moved my arse to Superbooth21 to try this out …

yeah I remember that scene … we‘ll see next fall how it actually feels like :upside_down_face:

Within Piano emulation software, I believe that Pianoteq is the king:

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

I couldn’t believe my ears when I tried this and heard it the first time several years ago now.

The big question however is if the Osmose keybed will be suitable for Piano style playing.
I don’t expect normal piano action myself, but hopefully something “beyond” piano action that is actually useful and expressive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not the first time reading that Pianoteq is good (last time when I tried to use linux with my pisound for music - I hated it…).

But you know… it’s TOO expensive. I’d rather buy two real pianos for that price (around 500 bucks, right?). Seems like this company sucks.

The cheapest option available is 129 Euros, which includes two modelled piano emulations.

You might be able to find sampled pianos that sound better to you. But if you are going to actually take advantage of the unique features of the Osmose, you will need a modelled piano like Pianoteq.

I, for one, am ready to let go of trying to use Osmose as a virtual piano. :sunglasses: :kissing_cat:

1 Like

It is kind of funny to imagine people buying an osmose and only using it to trigger The Giant

2 Likes