Expressive E Osmose

Does anybody know the measurements of the Osmose? I’m trying to plan for where to put it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Case:
size
91 x 31 x 8.2 cm (L x W x H) or 35.8 x 12.2 x 3.2 inches (L x W x H)

1 Like

So it has After After Touch.

So I guess the only real question is who will be the first synth maker to go for the aftertouch hat trick? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually, it’s poly-after-aftertouch, to be precise ^^
Besides it’s in 2D, as you still get the lateral move.

1 Like

It is demonstrated quite well here:

I’m not seeing it, that looks like a normal aftertouch response with velocity response at the top and then you push harder to activate the aftertouch. And really hard by the amount he was getting into it.

If you watch some other segments of the video, you can see that you have what could be considered aftertouch from the very start. So you get a response immediately, even before the key bottoms out the first time. And then you can repeat the process and get extra aftertouch on the already bottomed out aftertouch :slight_smile:

yeah, aftertouch is not a good way to describe it…

(as far as I remember it when trying at superbooth)
the first part of the touch is continuous (unlike traditional aftertouch), so you an actually play with pressure, rather than any kind of ‘strike’

then you hit the ‘stop’, and then its continuous again - I guess this is a bit like traditional aftertouch, however there is alot more travel.

so no, its not really like aftertouch on a traditional keyboard, feels quite different.

and yes, both of these are polyphonic/key independent.

2 Likes

And aftertouch is pretty much on/off, whereas here the velocity and depth have an effect on the sound, iirc.

Aftertouch has discrete regions but the depth within the aftertouch region has an effect on keyboards.

It’s hard to tell how easy the multiple regions combined with stuff like side to side motion is to control. IE can you easily do vibrato at every spot with in the two ranges.

Damn i really preordered osmose back 3 years ago without really knowing what I was getting in to.

now that i’m researching MPE synths a bit ( like Haken continuum, but also controllers like linnstrument) i’m even more excited about osmose. and also looking at price, it seems like a super fair deal compared to the others!

4 Likes

indeed, and this will be a skill you have to learn.

on the continuum, many start with having pitch rounding on, since they find it very difficult to keep in tune with so much ‘freedom’ , and over time they then reduce this.
similar to fretless instruments, but you have electronic training wheels to help :slight_smile:

the osmose has similar training wheels…
in fact at superbooth, when we were playing with it, one of the expressive-e guys was sitting there constantly adjusting the sensitivity… basically reigning it in a bit for us, so we didn’t feel completely lost. but then opening it up at other times, so we could feel the expressivenes.

of course, you won’t do this yourself, but its likely initially you’ll make it a little less sensitive, and then as you gain more control , you’ll slowly turn up the sensitivity.

actually thinking back, I remember the same thing when I got the eigenharp…
the keys are so sensitive, everything I played was constant vibrato and timbre changes… but over the weeks/months, I just got used to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this impacts piano/keyboard players the most (and to a lesser extent guitarists) as there’s not usually much exposure to intonation training like there is in other instruments. (Guitarists do get exposed a bit though for things like keeping bends in tune)

The main difference though (with violin as an example) is violinists get very used to determining intonation within the violin timbre and there are some extra cues with things like hearing the sympathetic vibration from the open strings that help in locating the right spot.

That likely wouldn’t be as easy with a synthesizer as the timbre can vary widely from patch to patch and even within a patch when there’s enough dimensions of control and macros for it. There’s also not usually extra cues like the overtones from the open strings to help nail down your location.

It’s not unique to the linnstrument/continuum/osmose though and using something like the bite sensor set to Sax for Roland Aerophones can end up resulting in needing similar care with intonation.

Question: there is no manual for the osmose out yet am I right?
Are there onboard FX? never saw/heard anything about this.

1 Like

Been wondering the same. Seems reasonable to assume that they would have had time to work on it (and the editor) while we all wait for China. Maybe there’s a short guide, saying something like: play the keys, select sounds, see what happens.

Couldn’t find anything. can’t be long before they upload the manual I suppose (or the unit might ship with one).

Very hyped; I just sincerely hope that after all those years, the QA is decent and there won’t be any big hardware bugs/issues… it seems like a delicate device…

I paid a couple of days ago and now my status has changed again to 'We are currently processing your order ’ so fingers crossed that means packing it :slight_smile:

I keep check this thread in the hopes of seeing an un-boxing. Please someone, help us live vicariously!

I’m afraid it has to go to ‘on backorder (paid)’ first…

I’m counting on @thetechnobear to be the one posting an unboxing video, as I suspect he will be one of the first ones to get it :slight_smile:

1 Like