Expressive E Osmose

true, mine came 2 days early :wink:

1 Like

This is the main reason I can’t see buying an Osmose for MPE. In this sense, my Linnstrument has more expressiveness than the Osmose. I understand, though, that the Osmose can be played like a standard keyboard, whereas the Linnstrument is its own thing (grid-based playing), which has its drawbacks for sure. I wish I could afford a Continuum.

1 Like

I was worried about that but actually having two aftertouch zones, with the final one doing the MPE Y stuff, works surprisingly well with a lot of existing MPE presets. Obviously it has a drawback that these two forms of MPE message are not independent on the Osmose, you cant reach the MPE Y zone until MPE Z has reached its maximum.

The sheer depth of both aftertouch zones does increase the fine detail and controllability of the expressivity on the Osmose compared to other MPE controllers though, so in future I dont think I will describe it as being less expressive than the other options, just different.

4 Likes

I’m far from an MPE expert, but is it normal that nothing is sent to MIDI when bending a single note ?

EDIT : Pitch Wheel messages are sent only in the aftertouch zone.

She has arrived, unpacking now. Wow, quite an emotional moment.

3 Likes

No they can be sent at all times, from the very gentlest tiny pressure on the key onwards.

If you are seeing this behaviour from usb midi port 1, or from the din port, then check the ‘bending’ sensitivity settings in the ‘ext midi’ section of Osmose settings.

If you are seeing this behaviour from usb port 2 then thats the Haken MPE+ port, and what comes out of it might be influenced by EaganMatrix or built in Osmose settings for whatever internal synth patch you are playing at the time.

2 Likes

Does it have to be one or the other? :wink:

Just sent a request for a deck saver cover =D.
I received mined last week, love it, was hard to play at first but once you set the pressure and lower the bending it is more easy.
But still it can be hard to play with the bending while you are in the after touch area.
I prefer to set the bend to 1/4th 1/2 note. 1 or more would be great for horror movie

Have to compose my patch, i’m pretty sure actual patch are more adaptation and are not really adapted to the osmose for the moment.
I think is weird that the pressure setting is the same for each preset, some preset really come to life once the keyboard is setup in a better way.
I don’t know why there’s so many patch with note repeat for the acoustic sound, i’ll never use that.

Pads are beautiful, its such a pleasure to play with low pressure, really a good news for electronic music and maybe a come back of the dynamic :slight_smile: instant cinematic
Could be really crazy coupled with a deckard dream or irridium. (but i’ve got none of these so i’ll try with my abyss)

pitch wheel is pretty cool, i wasn’t expecting that. When you release it, it goes back really quick to zero with no oscillation, looks unreal, very musical.

Also you need a good chair; really need a good position to play it wise

3 Likes

I agree, this osmose will mainly shine in ambient/cinematic context. especially playing with low pressure is very beautiful. However, the output can be quite low then, I have my volume on the osmose maxed out, anyone else experience this? I suppose you can up the output gain in the compressor settings…

No, not at all. I would like to have something that has the expressiveness of the Linnstrument, but the more standard playing surface of a keyboard, and based on the Osmose’s lack of Y-axis expression, as great as it is in other ways, doesn’t really do what I want it to do. As far as I can tell, the Continuum does what I want and so does the Seaboard Rise, but the continuum is too expensive for me and I will never again buy a product from Seaboard due to their nonexistent customer support and existential dubiousness.

Yeah, there are always trade offs… I imagine your control over velocity on Osmose is far greater than any other MPE device because of the lever action but yeah you give up Y axis.

1 Like

I understand your point! but don’t forget the Osmose also is a synth, and the linnstrument/seaboard are controllers. both have pro’s and con’s for sure!

1 Like

A bit off topic, but ran out of space in the studio and my main studio desk is too high to put the osmose on and comfortably play. Any tips on a 2-tier stand to hold the osmose (lower level) and a prophet 6 (upper level)?

K&M Omega Pro:

1 Like

looks good, but pretty heavy duty, perhaps a bit too much for those 2 relatively small synths?
which makes me think: nice perhaps if everyone shares a pic of their osmose and how its setup. :)?

1 Like

Did you notice the four drilled holes on the back ? I was wondering what kind of stand it was for.

I didn’t have any problems on my Zoom L-20. Mind you I’ve hooked the Osmose up on ports 1 and 2, I left the hi-z on those two ports depressed, I didn’t need to raise the gain at all. Output on the Osmose was at full.

thanks, can you see (maybe in your audio interface on how many db the signal is coming in?
i’m using a playdifferently model 1.

maybe to attach une Onde ou la Voile? :wink:

Edit: maybe not, but perhaps we shall know on Jan 5

1 Like

Seems too heavy duty for just a music stand!