Expressive E Osmose

The Osmose is a stunning machine. I’ve been mesmerised by all the videos in this thread.

I have a question for the owners; does the product contain any rubberised components. You know the stuff that collects dust and gets sticky after a few years?

I had a Touché and hated the rubberised material they used. And in general I try to avoid it.

From what I can see from photos & videos it looks like it doesn’t, but looks can be deceiving…

1 Like

The keys have indeed such grip, not sure if it’s rubberized or if it’s a new kind of material… but it’s needed for the lateral movements.

Not on the playing surface though? Do you mean internally? Playing surface feels like normal keyboard. Some kind of hard plastic.

i have both, and it always been boring to clean the touché, but i confirm the osmose has nothing like this.

2 Likes

I really regret not signing up for this when it was unveiled. Feels inevitable that I’ll buy one in the end!

Well they have warned in videos like the SonicState one the other day that they arent sure whether they can maintain the current price beyond the new pre-ordering period that began on January 5th. Maybe they will be able to maintain that price, but if not then maybe consider ordering one this time so that you dont end up with another regret later?

I actually think the playing surface feels nicer than a normal keyboard, obviously it is plastic but it feels slightly warmer and not as smooth (not as plasticky as most!)

yeah, it feels like the plastic is not ‘polished’, more a matt finish - or possibly a very fine textured finish.

I quite like it… I think the lack of the shine/polish does make it look less plastic… and action also makes it feel a bit more substantial - definitely feels quality (like a decent fatar keybed)

1 Like

Definitely.

Yeah, feels quality for sure.

A price hike wouldn’t surprise. I’d be amazed if Expressive E weren’t stung badly with the self inflicted and out if their control delays while (admirably) holding to those early bird discounts.

Be equally amazed if they made any real profit on the units that are out in folks hands.

On the bright side though, demand looks to be huge and I think Osmose has surpassed expectations in terms of how it’s landed with the public.

2 Likes

A lot of the costs are in R+D, also with volume comes savings so hopefully the wont need to jack it too much (or at all). I would love to see this be very popular, push forward both the use of MPE and the EM Engine (and software editor development)

Also pretty soon I expect to see all Expresives VSTS run natively in ‘Osmose’ Mode (all presets set up for the Osmose way of doing MPE+) which will hopefully make them a bit more money of the back of the Osmose success…

Ok great, and with that I just pre-ordered.

Thanks!

Yeah sorry, I meant external. I hate that sticky rubber coating that manufacturers keep using (though less and less it seems).

Thanks!!

They’re lucky you are a nice guy. Technically speaking you didn’t have to send it back. Sonos had a glitch recently and accidentally sent out a ton of extra speakers and they legally couldn’t require people to return them.

1 Like

Can this thing easily function as just a regular midi keyboard when I need it to? If I got one I would probably have to have it replace my keyboard midi controller…

Yes.
The question is: what do you need exactly in a MIDI keyboard?
For now, it’s not very developed IMO. But it should, apparently

:construction: saving your own external MIDI configurations will be possible with an upcoming firmware update.

source

3 Likes

If I decide to keep my Osmose, it’ll likely primarily be used as a MIDI controller

1 Like

Yes, even though it won’t feel exactly the same. As far as I can assess it, unlike on other keybeds, there is a bigger difference between playing softly (“press”) and playing hard (“tap”) on the Osmose, which may impact the sound of the slave device.

1 Like

Does the Keybed has its own MIDI Channel?