Expressive E Osmose

Fantastic!

1 Like

Definitely plenty of potential. Even more potential for showing up how lame my playing is as I’m constantly sliding notes. Must’ve have wonky fingers :joy: I like that it’s highlighting this though as it’ll hopefully encourage me to stop the lazy wrists and also encourage me to accept imperfections as a route to something unique sounding like you get with other physical instruments

1 Like

That’s how I’m leaning with things too. I actually quite like the thought of experimenting with upping the sensitivity and semitone range for wilder playing.

Not sure if it’s made it in this firmware but didn’t they preview note slides that were in key? That could open up loads of interesting potential for a clumsy player like me!

Clumsiness is sometimes what makes a performance great — or at least special.

3 Likes

Well I have to say expressive e really pulled it off here. I was skeptical after all the delays, but production seems to be ramping up, people are happy with the build quality, and the demos sound great!

But when is the 61 key version coming out?!

If there was, I wouldn’t want one, for it would be just too big. Right now, the Osmose is almost as large as my Kronos 61.

dang, that’s bigger than expected!!!

The Osmose materials are perfectly fine yeah.

For info, I have a Touché as well and I contacted support to ask about the rubber material becoming sticky, and Expressive E sent me very quickly a new Touché external shell in hard finish (as on the SE)

2 Likes
1 Like

There’s a pinned comment saying it was a loose power connection.

2 Likes

Oh, I guess I didn’t watch it til the end, my bad. Thanks for this!

Dude should probably heavily edit the video or at least add a statement or text overlay at the start of the video or something, as it seems like a clear case of RTFM and comments won’t be seen when videos are embedded (as in this thread).
The Osmose has a locking power barrel connector that isn’t that obvious until you read the quick start guide. It is very loose and will cause dropouts unless you lock it as designed and then it is very secure.

Also interested to know if he has asked EE about the stress testing of the mechanism. Or if they have made any statements about it. Given their apparent attention to quality, I would be surprised if they haven’t done some testing on lifespan of the mechanism. Seems highly speculative to assume that it might fail after 12 months of playing on it normally and therefore need to “treat it with kid gloves”.
I was certainly not planning on playing it super cautiously, and I doubt that was what EE were planning either!

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, the guy makes quite some negative assumptions here, to be honest I don’t really like him anyways.

1 Like

I think Tim had some very valid comments on keybed longevity.

It would be good that Expressive introduce a section in the manual about long term care and if needs be, what to do if over time keys ‘wear-in’ or start to misalign.
Unless they have titanium and graphene pads inside, there must be some rubbing and friction, likely plastic and silicone, that will degrade tensions, springs and calibrations over time.

I’d prefer to see a good maintenance plan published, hopefully self administerable, rather than insistence that it’s perfect, it’ll be perfect forever and any naysayers are not to be entertained.

1 Like

Totally agree with you on this. Would definitely like to see this too. But he has a 4 or 5 minute segment where he literally says that he doesn’t think that it should be a main controller keyboard for people because he thinks it is so fragile. Seems a little unfair to put that out to his 27,000 subscribers without even making enquiries to EE.
Wobbly controllers are their USP. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know, as I don’t own one - does the Touché fail after 12 months?

Absolutely not saying this. Again, would like to see this too. Completely on board with fair criticism. Eg. the UI, preset switching and encoder response is laggy; the Haken editor is (IMO) a horrible interface (at least to the uninitiated). But I think he went a little too hard on it. I would have probably just left it at “I do wonder about longevity. I’ve contacted EE to ask about their stress testing and predicted durability and will update”. Or better still, wait for a response before putting vid out and spend my time getting as far as page 5 of the quick start guide…

Do we really have to care about the opinion of a guy who did not take 3 seconds to take a look at the back of his long-awaited-preordered-3-years-ago-synth before declaring its power connector loose and not reliable ? :rofl:

As a sidenote, I’ve never seen any mention of touché, failing. I’ve got two myself, and never had a technical problem with any of them.

They sell replacement parts for the rubber and the mention of replacing the case with a hard one should it become sticky, seems to indicate good customer service.

They mentionned in an email discussion that the keybed was entirely serviciable and that it was dustproof. Looking under the unit seems to indicate that you can work octave by octave.

I’m not sure if we need to worry too much…

6 Likes

This thing is so expressive!
I know I shouldn’t, but I hooked it up to a Chase Bliss Generation Loss pedal. I love playing this thing.

15 Likes

IMO Tim’s points are valid questions (except the one on crashes) for the mainstream user base.

Expressive E does emphasise on their website that Osmose has a high repairability index (e.g. no use of any glue) and that it should be quite durable. However, this will also show in practice and it is mainly a risk to be borne by the enthusiast user base (1st gen). Software-wise there are still a few rough edges here and there, which will (have to) be addressed.

1 Like

sounds nice, first batch of second (modded yes/no?)

1 Like

No idea and don’t give a fuck !
EDIT : sorry, I don’t want to sound pedantic or whatever. I just, in all consciousness, avoided myself to dig into this whole story. That’s said, my SN is #04368 if this helps.