Expressive E Osmose

My only worry, having looked down on my Osmose, is that you can see the circuit board through the keys. Mind you, I had similar worries with the slider on my Octatrack and that’s been going strong for well over a decade now.
However, to be on the safe side, I bought a vinyl cover for my Osmose and don’t plan to use it out of doors in the rain.

You mean no skydiving unboxing followed by underwater ambient dawless jam with succulent ??? How are you gonna build an audience then ???

Just joking, no offence intended…Just in case… :innocent: :rofl:

2 Likes

Gorgeous :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m very difficult to offend, but I do wish more people would try :wink:

Ooh my. This pulled at the old heart strings. What lovely sounds!

15 Likes

actually I dont think he does at all…

this is a non-engineer raising doubt without any real basis… other than ‘this is new’.
why should we trust his view on this, more than the engineers at expressive-e?

if he has concerns, really he should’ve reached out to Expressive E, and discussed it… before just putting out an unsubstantiated view.

Im sure they would have been happy to talk to him about it, the testing done… the design for replacement etc (I think the keys are in blocks, if you look at the underside)

as for the power connector, again pure amateurism… he had a problem, because he didn’t even RTFM. the quick start at that!

honestly, I dont really care., and usually I like Tim’s videos.
but with his view/sub count he should be more professional about these things.
its not enough to just say ‘well, it was just my first impressions’

6 Likes

for sure… that is always the gamble for early adopters, for any product.

its fine to have concerns, but if you have an audience of 25,000 , who likely respect your views (generally), then doing some basic research seems a reasonable thing.

as for real world usage… Osmose likely has more than most.
due to covid etc, there have been prototypes (at various stages) in some musicians hands for quite a while before release, and being used in real world scenarios.

of course, once you get mass rollout you get more issues/details… but again, back to first adopters.

2 Likes

Funny, I had another use on another forum saying he loved the Osmose but the power connect kept falling out- once I pointed out it was a locking connector he was very happy- I wonder how many people do this in haste to power up and play- locking connectors are not that common but so useful, its a positive not a negative! For what its worth I have about 10 hours now on my Osmose, no crashes or problems at all…

its a little odd… when it is not locked, it doesn’t go in very far at all, so its extremely loose…
whilst I didn’t know about the locking when I first tried, it was obvious that something wasn’t right…
(even though, admittedly locking mechanism are not that common)

I mean, why would anyone think, that an product obviously so well designed/thought through, in development for over 3 years, would have such an obvious issue?

I guess, you might think its just your unit… but again, why suspect the QA process, rather than your own usage first?

I used to write reviews for a well-known magazine and often wrote very dumb things on day 1 on scrappy pieces of paper, before I really knuckled down to learn the gear in question. I guess when you’re keen to get your thoughts out there very quickly, it increases the likelihood that some dumb things will leak through.
Fortunately I’m not reviewing the Osmose, just sitting and playing it and rejoicing that the instrument I’ve waited for (for all my life, it seems) is finally here.

6 Likes

it’s an instrument i’ve dreamed of for a long time. a synthesizer with which i can play expressively and in a natural way. it reacts very sensitively, to the gentlest touch, across the entire spectrum.

5 Likes

After a few days (I received it two weeks ago), I can say it’s a blast.
What I didn’t expect is that the MPE controller side is so awesome. I’m spending hours making presets in Ableton Wavetable synth that use the MPE data, and I used to barely use velocity in the past… I honestly believe that it will be super hard to get back to regular MIDI keyboards after some time…

3 Likes

I’ve seen other people get bit by not locking the power supply on the facebook group and I think usually the problem is it’s at the back and most people wind up having to put things in without necessarily seeing the ports at the back.

The concern about alignment, I mean it’s potentially a problem but it also seems to have calibration routines that run regularly so the small micro changes shouldn’t really impact it.

As an armchair engineer the only thing that concerns me for longevity is that there appears to be a point of friction between keys where they can hit each other that’s been mentioned a few times.

I had a somewhat similar complaint in regards Tim and his coverage of the Waldorf Quantum. He assumed that some touchscreen responsiveness issues he experienced were a general fault with that synth, and was somewhat resistant to accepting the fact that it was an issue with his unit, not every Quantum that exists. To be fair it was a somewhat common issue for a whole bunch of Quantums produced over a specific period of time, but certainly not one that affects every Quantum or that users should put up with, people with that issue really needed to send their synth back to Waldorf to have it fixed, and plenty of people did that.

1 Like

I‘m hoping that between key clacking will get less with practice and technique.
I also think replacing the key plastic upper (in the event it got really worn or chipped) would hopefully be a lot more straight forward than replacing the mechanism.

To give a related Osmose example, there have been one or two people online who had issues with responsiveness or noises made by certain keys on their Osmose. When asking other people about this, some care was needed to make sure people were actually all describing the same experience, rather than there actually being specific defects with some peoples units. One or two people, after speaking to Expressive E, established there was an actual problem with their unit and that they needed to have it replaced. In theory there might be some other people out there who have similar issues but are currently incorrectly assuming that all Osmoses are like that.

MPE

is the default for controlling MPE-compatible software and hardware.

Sends MIDI messages according to the MIDI Polyphonic Expression standard.

The Pressure axis sends Velocity and Channel Pressure, the Aftertouch sends CC74 (it’s the parameter that other MPE controllers often address with a movement along the Y axis on the playing surface which is not supported by Osmose due to the lack of progressive physical feedback). Note Bending sends pitch-bend messages.

MIDI channel 1 is reserved for global messages, channels 2 to 15 are used to transmit one voice each.

I’m trying to wrap my head around this.
Question : If I want to control/play my Synths with the Osmose and I have my Synths on different MIDI channels, how does it work? As of it now, with standard MIDI, I use Digitakt Autochannel to switch from one Synth to the other. Does it work the same or do I have to reserve MIDI channel 1 for the MPE?

Thanks.

1 Like

The Osmose has a ‘classic keyboard’ mode , which turns off MPE , which you can use for synths that don’t support mpe.

2 Likes

Thank you!

What if I have several Synths that support MPE?