Expressive E Osmose

i wouldn’t mind a bit of texture; totally glossy wouldn’t be ideal either.
I actually quite like the uneven imperfect look of the prototype - makes it seem even more organic, like an old harpsichord

2 Likes

I just want the six inches on the left. Lose the keyboard, put the EaganMatrix in a desktop module with a few knobs and a screen, so we can all use it with our choice of MPE controller…

Are you listening, Haken?

Cheers!

2 Likes

An Artiphon-like instrument married to EaganMatrix would be cool.

That said, I paid up the deposit to reserve an Osmose.

What I got :

• full standalone
  • 6 macros prechosen by the sound designers can be tweaked on the front plate via dedicated knobs
  • 2 part split or layer
  • Dual mono possibiltiy not defined yet.

When I asked about midi processing, real time roting etc, I got this answer :

“You won’t be able to translate incoming MIDI data and send this out as other parameters. You can use the MIDI input to manipulate values in the EaganMatrix though, so could e.g. hook up our Touché, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuCiz_u2sM or any other MIDI controller. You would need to manually assign this using the Editor though, if it’s not already part of the presets macros.
The MIDI data being sent by the A.K.A. can be customized directly from Osmose, incl. all CCs, different curves, min/max values, dead zones for pitch bend, pitch bend range also”.

Ok, this is definitly interesting. After having made some search on the eagan matrix, I’m in. The slight vibrato I make everytime I play keys will finally be heard !

3 Likes

Sensitivity to hammers! :smile:
But I relate to this: as a non-keyboard (aka guitar) player, I have never really found the mod wheel convenient for transmitting such vibrato expression.

This is a very nice synth. Would be cool to add a ribbon for the occasional slide…

J3PO from 0.57 had me in tears I love that solo soo much.

1 Like

I doubt it, I’ve asked Leopold this in the past… (though times change, evolve…)

the reason is ( which I now agree with) that a very important aspect of the eagen matrix is it is closely tied to how the playing surface reacts (look at how the ‘formulae’ are specified and you’ll see what I mean) … in particular it pays a lot of attention to dynamics during the initial part of the touch.

its not like a ‘normal synth’ where note-on/off is largely the same for every surface.

without that attention to detail, the eagan matrix would not come across that well - so would damage its reputation? be misunderstood?

(the osmose will have a dedicated set of ‘presets’ for users to start from)

yes… the continuums/osmose have external MPE input, but i guess the thought is there…you have heard it done properly - so if your external MPE controller feels a bit ‘meh’ by comparison - you know where to look :wink:

I know a few people with continuums and other MPE controllers (Eigenharps, Linnstruments) and I rarely see them using this with the Eagen Matrix, I think for the reasons stated above.

Im looking forward to using it with the Eigenharps :slight_smile:
but Ive limited expectations in this area, but perhaps if I enter the matrix for a sustained period perhaps I can can make it work.

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer. That said, I still protest… :wink:

Cheers!

The Eigenharp is an interesting design too.

The advantage of the Artiphon is it can be configured to be played like violin, guitar, or as a desktop instrument. Most importantly, you can do glissando (slide) on it, while from what I’ve seen/heard of Eigenharp, you cannot slide from one note to the other, just bend/vibrato on individual keys.

In any case, neither instrument has a built-in EaganMatrix engine, which takes us back to the limitation of relying on MIDI as a communication protocol for expression and control.

Looking forward to the in-built audio/midi feedback possibilities:

Gotta love a render!

7 Likes

Great catch ! You should email them, maybe they will offer you a even better discount, who knows !

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah saw that video (been through his channel for more)
That groove in the end of that video is just insane…I love it :kissing_heart:

This is great. Lots of value in both the instrument and controller aspects. I am very excited.

It’s like the sound of a cool kid playing Transport Tycoon

Man I want this so bad!!! I could do the preorder but I’ve sworn off being a “first run” customer. I’ve been burned to many times. Damn principles!!!
Thankfully it looks well built and the company seems solid so I can ignore the devil on my shoulder saying “if you don’t get it now, it may be gone forever”.

I’m concerned about the first run aspect myself though the price difference does seem worth the risk.

1 Like

Same here, the discount makes it worth it. I asked them by mail, and apparently there’s enough quantity for the discount to still be valid mid-december if not through to the 31st (31st is the time limit but there’s limited quantity aswell for the discount).

1 Like

Im tempted because of the discount but at the same time this is something i REALLY need to try. I mean as a keyboard player the feel of the keys need to be great otherwise … Kinda risky TBO.

4 Likes

pre ordered now for an 8 month wait :joy:

2 Likes