Expressive E Osmose

you have to send midi note data to Osmose ‘midi port 2’.
this can be mpe data (or even mpe+) , or you can send single midi channel data on midi channel 1.
note: some presets may not work outside of MPE (but the majority do)

You were right. My issue was that Ableton doesn’t recognise the Osmose as a midi interface through RME sound card. When i switched to direct usb output the Osmose midi interface appears. I’m actually so pissed off by the RME - Ableton - M1 mac combination - with 25% Cpu load the projects stutter like i’d be working on Intel i3 or some shit.
Thanks, though. At least i know my Osmose can receive midi :wink:

Best!

It gets better.

So after over two weeks lingering in customs, the Osmose was just returned to me. The tracking says “returned to shipper” so I’m assuming it never even made it to Expressive E as I’ve heard nothing from them since it shipped.

The DHL courier who dropped it off could tell me nothing. The package has opened and repacked by DHL, and has obviously been banged around a fair amount and is in worse condition then when I sent it.

Emailed Expressive E support to get them to confirm if the bloody thing actually made it back to them at all.

Fun times.

Ah man that sucks. Sorry you are going thru that.
Expressive E better step up and get this sorted.

I’m having major problems getting my Osmose to accept incoming midi. I have tried sending from my Oxi, Theoryboard and NDLR with no joy. I’ve tested the Midi cable and am now completely stumped. I’m sure it’s finger trouble/user error but if any of you kind folk could spare a minute and list the stages that I need to follow in would be most gratefully received. The quick start guide isn’t a great deal of help. :pray:

Recorded from the Osmose ? Non-MPE MIDI data is probably not going to cut it. Have you tried connecting those devices via your computer with Haken Editor acting as router in between? So you would have to connect both your Osmose and NDLR to your computer, then go to HE’s MIDI settings and select the correct configuration to have them communicate. Best to consult the Continuum manual. An MPE capable sender device will work without computer.

1 Like

Ah OK! That’s a PITA.
Thank you very much for that. I shall try that then. :pray::+1:

To sent MIDI to the Osmose you must be able to sent over multiple MIDI channels simultaneously (as is specified with MPE). You can limit the channels in the Osmose setting, for non-MPE usage. In standard MPE channel 1 is used a a global channel, channels 2 to 16 are used for note data.

Sending MIDI data, for example on channel 2, when the Osmose is in normal MPE mode has a quite strange effect. You will only occasionally hear a note. If you use channel 1 in that case, you won’t hear anything.

It is a good idea, in the beginning, to use a computer in between or another MIDI protocol analyzer of sorts. This will help you understanding what is going on.

1 Like

Everything is in settings ( gear icon ) midi i/o

I have my osmose set to :

1/3 usb play
2/3 note and matrix
on
2/5 dsp in

Osmose sends and receives midi from usb. It can control synths in mpe and receive notes from other gears send on its midi ch 1 and receive control datas from a mc6 pro thru din.

1 Like

As far as I understand, your sender device (not the Osmose in the aforementioned case) should send data according to MPE. If it doesn’t you normally need something in between that transforms the data accordingly.

1 Like

Thank you gentlemen.
I have just traded my Oxi with a kindly fellow 'naut’s Hapax @sid6581 (Good to meet you Sir)
Allegedly it is MPE compatible. Forgive my ignorance, but will that enable me to play chords on the Osmose and sequence it with the Hapax via Midi din with no computer in-between, or do I still go USB Midi on both through the Haken Editor? The manuals aren’t massively clear to my cold filled head…

1 Like

What I can tell from experience with my Linnstrument is that it connects without computer to the Osmose. LS is fully MPE compatible. Of note is that Osmose does apparently not use channels 15 and 16 for MPE. On LS you can deactivate individual channels to circumvent any issues. As for the Hapax, I wouldn’t know whether that would work or whether it would be even necessary. Better check any discussions specifically on the Hapax and how it implements MPE.

1 Like

I’ve spent some hours trying to record and playback the osmose into studio one, via port 2 for mpe +.
But the osmose only play very short note, one octave up, and no aftertouch :confused:
i’ve tried filtered to channel 1-14 to remove the haken editor data.
removing manually cc 87 and 117 that create routing loop.

If you’re on Mac or iVerse, you can try this for recording and playing back MPE:

thanks :slight_smile: , i make it work with logic pro trial while testing midi tape recorder.
Works well with no filter on midi and loosing local control on osmose, no latency on control.
i have to look more on what’s going on on the studio one side :confused:

1 Like

I think that’s exactly why Geert Bevin has developed this app.

Mine just showed up at the door in the US without any notice. Best wishes.

looks like a more detailed guide is coming from EE
anyway, sharing this as this could help a lot :slight_smile:

daw midi setup

also even, with midi tape recorder, mpe recordings are not perfect, sometimes looks like a bad ADC, sadly is not analog signal; i’m a little disapointed with my first mpe experience, looks like it’s not specific to the osmose.
It’s still workable but need some manual antialias for sweet curve.

By “not perfect”, do you mean resolution wise? Do you suspect an issue with MTR or with the Osmose?

does expressive make a version with a completely covered top… it’s a nice instrument but I really wish that room on top could be used for external pedals?