Expressive E Osmose

This is just an artist’s impression of what the webpage could look like when the offer expires…
As of right now it is still open though.

Just to motivate anyone on the fence :smile:

4 Likes
Off topic

Elektron be like “you gave us all that guff over the layout of the Digitone Keys, but these guys get a free pass? Man, eff all y’all”
:smiley:

7 Likes

They just emailed out saying very limited time remaining for the “early bird” offer

1 Like

When I made the deposit, it was pretty clear for me that it was a form of crowdfunding to get enough cash momentum for production. I hope everyone thought about it…At least a bit… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Touché owner here. Big fan of their work.

This does seem like a bit of a bait and switch from the original presale offer good through 12/31. I agree with @jukka, how do you sell out an item that’s not yet in production? This move does give me some pause.

1 Like

You do not sell out the item, you sell out the discounted price. :wink:

2 Likes

In a way we know what to expect. It is the Haken Continuum and Touche technology and Eagan synthesizer. It will be very close to the Continuum soundwise, mostly the playing styles different. For me, its enough to know that Haken and Eagan are involved that know that the outcome will be something special and of highest quality.

Listening to @cuckoomusic speaking about the Continuum and the Osmose, one hears out the admiration that I share.

4 Likes

I guess they didn’t make it that obvious in the video, but the sounds are all internal to Osmose. In other words in that video you’re hearing the EaganMatrix modular synth engine, not any MIDI sounds

1 Like

:wink:

I’ve always been fascinated by physical modeling ever since I heard a Yamaha VL-1 demoed in person at a music store. The Osmose seems a lot more affordable than the asking price of the VL-1 back in the day.

I tried a half-size Continuum at Discovery World in Milwaukee a few years ago. The responsiveness to even the slightest gestures was a revelation to me. So whether the EaganMatrix would have a place in my music has never been a question for me. The most vocal skeptic that I recall of the EaganMatrix engine was somebody who just wanted aggressive, in your face tones - he was more into Metasonix stuff and the like.

I don’t care for emulation of acoustic instruments, so using sampling for that purpose has been a non-starter for me. My wallet thanks me because it knows I’ll never drop tens of 1000s of bucks on Vienna Symphonic Library or whatever competition is out there… I admit I have HIB (Home Instrument Bias) in that I think any sampled/synthesized violin/viola or guitar sucks because I play the real thing - even though I’m no virtuoso on those types of instrument either. I got the term HIB from the wind controller crowd - most of them would happily tell you they think sampled/synthesized saxes and trumpets suc. I am however fascinated by the promise of physical modeling to give us sounds that lie somewhere between the realm of real acoustic instruments and purely electronic ones.

I’m no virtuoso on the keys but I’m pretty sure I can use Osmose to record simple parts that make a a difference to me, sonically, over just processing the hell out of electric violin or guitar.

8 Likes

I panicked a little when I saw that the ‘earlybird’ order was said to be available only for a few more hours… yesterday. Nevertheless, the option still exists on their site this morning, so I caved in and put down my deposit. I have absolutely no space for this thing, but I’ll make room somehow before the time comes.

4 Likes

And you still have more than 6 month to change your mind and get fully refunded, so it’s not the worst move to make. :slight_smile:

1 Like

True! Though I don’t expect I’ll change my mind. I already know the Eagenmatrix well from using the Continuum and, as I said earlier, I think this will fill in the gaps in that and vice-versa. If anything, I reckon it’s going to seem like a long, long wait.

DAMN FORuM !
I did it ! I dont have the space for this so what do i do ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
It has been a few hard days thinking about this so i had to end the suffering.

2 Likes

Thankfully you have a whole lot of time to figure out where to put it

2 Likes

Something will have to go. Ideally I’d like it just in front of the Continuum (which maybe could be raised and angled towards me) on my desk. Or vice versa.

You have a Continuum ?
I guess its possible to go weird with the EaganMatrix ?

I pre-ordered. I love the playing response of my Roland Aerophone, which is great if you have woodwind training. I don’t think the Osmose will outdo the Aerophone for playing monophonic lines when Roland’s built-in sounds are good enough (I like the trumpet and a couple of sax patches). But the keyboard format will usually work better for me, and obviously the Osmose will be much more flexible because, except for that trumpet and sax, I don’t find the Aerophone fun or useful, and then there’s the Osmose’s polyphony. Major drawback: the time until delivery. “Summer 2020” means as much as 10 months from now, and I have a very strong feeling that this kind of newfangled thing is going to see delays. Anyone know Expressive E’s track record for predicting how long until a product will be ready for delivery?

1 Like

Yeah, I have the half-size Continuum. It is indeed possible to get weird with the Eaganmatrix. It’s pretty much a semi-modular synth. It’s not easy to use at first but it’s worth getting one’s head around. It’s one of my favorite synths mainly because it is so different from everything else. You can kind of think of it as a giant multi-synthesis VCS3, except you can patch connections with numbers and letters representing formulae instead of pins. That seems more esoteric than it really is in practice. But yeah, it can be a wonderfully wild synthesizer.

4 Likes

I nearly caved in as someone typed guitar & keyboard combo instrument :slight_smile:

Seems like a fantastic instrument. Paired with a deckards dream or something similar would be mind blowing. But also the price. Definately worth it mind. It is a very good argument for us that arent the best key players to get our practice hats on!

4 Likes