FaderFox EC4

Oof. Thanks for the information. That kind of puts a damper on my desire for an EC4 but…

I just got a Morningstar MC6 (which is great with the Ocatrack) and I’m wondering if I could send CC61 from the Morningstar MC6 and if the EC4 would pick up the parameter values. I don’t know if there is any kind of exclusivity for what devices would be expecting the data dump from the Octatrack but if anyone can confirm that concept, the EC4 could well be back on my menu.

The idea is that I could tap a switch on the Morningstar to force the Octatrack to update the EC4, basically. That’d get around this issue for me… for now.

1 Like

I’ve been eying the EC4 for a while to compliment my Deluge. Seems like I could use it for software synths as well. I’m also putting together a pedalboard for my guitar and I see this as an option to possible control pedals with MIDI capability and save my back some stress.

The other option I’ve seen that would fit the bill is the Electra One, but based on comments made by the owner on the Electra website, I don’t see myself getting my hands on one in the next year or so.

I like that you can program multiple instruments and have a screen that reminds you what each encoder does. It’s not cheap, but I don’t see anything else that has a small form factor where I could move it around my studio and travel (paired with a keystep 37). Some sites are offering a 10% discount on non-sale items for Black Friday, so I think saving $35 is about as cheap as I will find a new EC4 right now.

I’m a MIDI novice and I’m not looking to become a DJ. Just looking for hardware to control hidden parameters on my synths and interact with Ableton and software synths.

Am I heading in the right direction? Any other options to consider that don’t rely on a USB host?

1 Like

That would work. The OT dumps the values to whatever is listening.

It’s one of the better offerings out there, the display and paging definitely.

If you want cheaper, there’s the simpler in design PC4.

1 Like

I’m considering one of these for controlling softsynths hosted in Logic (e.g Dexed, OB-Xd).

Apologies if this has already been answered, but are parameters linked between the controller and softsynth when connected via USB? So that if I load a patch in Dexed, this will be reflected on the EC4, and I won’t have any parameter jumps?

1 Like

As far as I understand the use case, you can set control change commands in “relative mode” send for the encoder where values increment/decrement based on relation to current parameter value.

I do not believe the absolute state of the parameter may be visible to the EC4 (I could be wrong, I should test, and someone please clarify if I have a faulty understanding) but with relative changes the DAW should pass on whatever from the EC4 to the softsynth without causing jumps when moving from one absolute value to another.

This is to be checked in the synth’s manual. If it dumps its state via midi, then the EC4 can update itself, and it works also with absolute CC.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that one out … I think the screen on the EC4 justify the slightly higher cost for my intentions (or what I think my intentions are at this stage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

The pc4 and other cheaper models have a midi snap to/takeover to prevent parameter jumps.

1 Like

FYI - for 10% off in the US:

Perfect Circuit (perfectcircuit.com)

use code CIRCUIT10

and if live outside of California, no sales tax. Which is nice.

I put an order in this morning after watching some user videos last night.

1 Like

Note that the PC4 does not support sending Aftertouch, so you can only use it as 4 MW, 4 PB, 4 BC, not also 4 AT, i.e. macro controls for Elektrons.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification.

EC4 or UC4 or PC12

Which one adds most fun and productivity for those who have tried more than one of these Faderfoxes. I seem to be leaning toward the EC4 for an Octatrack partnership. Would also use it
with the Blackbox.

Want to pick the “right” one on the first try.

1 Like

I have an UC4 that I use with my digitakt and I must say that faders are very nice for level controls.

2 Likes

My EC4 makes a whining noise when on. It seems like a display whine. Is this a normal issue with them or is it just mine?

Edit: It seems to be worse when the brightness is higher or there are more lit pixels on the screen.

Mine is totally quiet. I would contact Faderfox support

2 Likes

Done! Mathias responded very quickly and is sending me a new DC converter to try soldering in. He said he hadn’t had someone report this issue before, so hopefully I’m the only one.

3 Likes

Mine is quiet, too.

I’m actually having a hard time getting either “relative” modes for work on my EC4. I have the EC4 connected to my Syntakt (only) - when I pick either of the relative modes - the fader jumps between the two values (ie: 001-127). - has anyone experienced this? Is there anyway to change this? I’m just testing this with CC95 (track volume)

Thanks!

I thought about this as soon as I discovered that there’s no off switch, but then I came up with the idea that blank screen cannot get burn-in probably, there’s 4 empty group in the Live setup, 13-16, I just switch to one of them, it probably helps…

2 Likes