FaderFox EC4

Anyone have a good case for these?

Same as explained by @mr_bernard - cc61 sent by one of the push encodersā€¦

just a quick question can you rename all labels. even the group/global tabs?

Yep, setups, groups, and individual encoders

Does the EC4 allow you to set CC values for the pushing an encoder different from the turning the encoder or are you using an encoder mapped to CC 61 and pushing the encoder just fires off a corresponding CC 61 message?

Iā€™m wondering if the firmware ever got the feature to set Knob and Push behaviors different or if theyā€™re still tied together.

Thanks.

For the EC4, you have to give up an encoder.

The UC4, you can have different CCs for press and encoder

But from my reading of the manual, you couldnā€™t have e.g. twisting 0-127 for cutoff, push-twisting 0-127 for resonance on the same encoder, the push being more like a button than a second encoder. Or am I wrong?

You are correct. Push is a toggle/button, twist is 0-127. You can set the upper and lower limits for all CC values, but you canā€™t do push/twist functions.

Also, the way it groups the sliders/buttons and knobs separately is a bit confusing sometimes.

I have both the UC4 and EC4. I use the EC4 with my Elektron boxes and the UC4 with my iPad, though Iā€™m also looking at how I can configure it for some more control over my solo Syntakt rig.

3 Likes

i have looked around and sadly found noting. I ended up getting a wooden box which works but is not very mobile. A smalle decksaver would be fantastic for mobility

Thanks for the clarification. I also emailed Faderfox and according to them, next year a firmware for the EC4 is slated to allow for Knob Push to be set differently than Knob Turn. Iā€™m thinking of waiting until then. Feels like my perfect controller is on the horizonā€¦

5 Likes

I really love em but, both having and had quite a bunch of faderfoxes over the years, Iā€™ve heard the ā€œupdate is comingā€ line quite a bit and it never really happens. That year comes, and theres a new controller insteadā€¦which i end up buyingā€¦

Every faderfox has exactly 1 thing thats the buzzkillā€¦the lack of individual configuration of the push on the ec4 is its :frowning:

(the ec4 didnt make the varsity team for me)

3 Likes

Great! Really wanted something like that !

I wouldnā€™t wait. Just get it now. You never know what updates there will actually be, and honestly, itā€™s so great as it is that you wonā€™t be missing out on too much.

2 Likes

Yeah, I emailed Faderfox about that featureā€¦ a bit under 2,5 years ago and then, got told itā€™s scheduled for the next update.

2 Likes

Oh, wow. Well, that certainly dampers my enthusiasm. Mind you, Iā€™m considering getting a Morningstar MC6 or 8 for handling some of the button functions on the Octatrack (Pickup Macine -> Record, Play etcā€¦) and I guess I could use one for CC61. I donā€™t know if the Octatrack cares what device sent CC61 (ie: if the Morningstar can send it and the EC4 would receive it).

Iā€™m thinking about getting myself a knobs controller to help bring out some params of the Digitone/Rytm out of the menus, trying to decide between EC4 vs MFTā€¦
so far the EC4 seems to have an upper hand as it has midi out and I can connect it to the machines without usb host, but in reality I do use Live as a mixer / recorder and the MFT seems to have better integration with Live, or is it?
the push button separate value on the MFT seems like a really handy feature for Live, turning on and off racks is good stuff, can the EC4 do that? even via midi?
also lots of people here mentioned that the EC4 cannot send separate param from the push buttons but according to the description it can:

Encoder push buttons can send separate commands

will appreciate any opinion about both, currently leaning toward the EC4 as it can control the machines directly but if Iā€™ll control them via Live Iā€™m not sure which one is betterā€¦
thanks!

Sold my EC4 and bought an Electra One. Itā€™s about 2.7 million times better :wink:

Currently out of stock though

2 Likes

When you push the EC4 encoders, it just toggles between the lowest and highest values of that encoder. The UC4 does allow for pushes to mean something totally different. You may like that one as it has 8 vertical faders, 1 cross fader, 8 knobs w/ assignable push, and 8 push buttons.

Personally, I have both and think they compliment each other well. If the Digi boxes had the CC61 thing going on, life would be a lot better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been asking this to Faderfox since day 1. Heā€™s very slow updating his products.
Latest answer from him was one month ago :
" hi louis,

it takes some more time because Iā€™m very busy with production currentlyā€¦I guess next year all will be finishedā€¦"

got it, I cannot send a different CC for the push. not sure I really need the UC4 atm, but good to know!

ehmā€¦ I suppose CC61 should mean something different then cure for ulcer?

edit: ok found it, something to do with cc discovery, could be nice if the EC4 could learn the params like that

1 Like