FaderFox EC4

Does anyone know of the EC4 has a sleep mode for the screen or some sort of power on/off? I’m concerned about potential burn-in on the screen. If I have to constantly plug and unplug the USB to my computer, that would be a dealbreaker for me, but otherwise this seems like the best compact MIDI controller on the market.

Do LED screens like that get burn in? I didn’t think they didn’t but I could be wrong!

Wouldn’t have expected that level of discombobulation but that makes a lot of sense from a software perspective. Super helpful to know

It’s an OLED, so I guess it potentially could be an issue. I had my EC4 for quite a while, over a year. It doesn’t have a screensaver function as far as I remember, but I noticed no burn in on mine, and it was on most of the time my computer was on.

1 Like

Ahh didn’t realise that, my bad!

At least you can reduce the brightness:

http://www.faderfox.de/PDF/EC4%20Manual%20V02.PDF

1 Like

Hi there,

EC4 is a really good controller, but only recently I stumbled upon the problem to set the a different midichannel for different encoders in the same setup and group.

It seems possible to set the channel per encoder because this option available in the edit menu.

But if I change the channel for an encoder it is still bound to the channel of the setup (setup 1 = ch 1, setup 2 = ch 2 …)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

… I managed it!!
But only by copying the channel to the group.
Not manually and not via web editor.

1 Like

Sorry for little lame question, but does EC4 get information about internal state of the parameters of Elektron boxes?

That’s how I imagine it should work. It gets parameters from the box and then you see it on the screen and are able to modify it via encoder. This requires bidirectional communication.

Otherwise Elektron box is only receiving parameter values from EC4, which is problematic way of operation to say the least.

Only the OT can send out the state of its parameters via Midi when receiving a cc61 command, afaik.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Quite sad to hear it. Do you know, whether it will be possible in the future? Or you know some other controllers doing similar stuff?

I would love to have some additional encoders, but olny one-way communication is a dealbreaker for me.

Does that mean the EC4 will only work bi-directionally when the hardware supports this CC61 ? I can’t spot any info on this in the EC4 manual

I believe Elektra One tries to achieve this through Sysex dumps and patch parsing. But this really is a non-trivial affair, and I do not know whether anyone was able so far to reverse engineer the Elektron Sysex.

In practice, if you wish to use a Midi controller, my advice would be to use only the controller to control those parameters that are mapped to the controller whilr playing. You will always have a ‘gap’ when you change patterns or kits, of course, which then requires careful "catch up’ (which can be avoided with the OT’s CC61).

This is correct - EC4 is able to map midi feedback to the parameters you have set, but the midi feedback message itself must be sent by the hardware.

This is not an issue of the EC4, but of the hardware to be controlled.

1 Like

So … I’m thinking of the M:C (and M:S) which transmits the encoder values over midi (provided you don’t turn that feature off in the settings). Are we saying that the EC4 cannot make use of that, but instead requires the CC61 command you described ?

I am really not an expert in this, and I just used the EC4 for a while with my OT and not with any other machine. I believe the issue is relevant for example when you change tracks: the OT’s CC61 command makes the machine send all of its (new) parameters at once, whereas with standard midi send a value is only sent for a single parameter at the moment at which the parameter is changed.

1 Like

More generally, before buying an expensive Midi controller, I think you need to ask yourself what exactly you need it for. I sold my EC4 after a couple of months because did not actually use it much (and found the 4-character display too limiting). I then bought a second-hand Elektra One, but did not find much use either…

2 Likes

No you can set each encoder independently.

Can you give us a hint how to send the cc61?
Is it necessary to program an encoder press for that purpose?
Somehow I struggle with it:-(
I like my EC4 a lot and
It would be great to get this cc61 thing running…

This is what I have setup. On one of my EC4 setups, I have one of the push encoders setup to send cc61. I generally use it when I reload a part and want the OT to tell the EC4 the refreshed CC values after the part reloads.

2 Likes