Fascinating inside scoop on being a full-time Synth YouTuber

My take is that the toxic reaction up here is rooted in “pretenders/sell outs” vs “real musicians”.

I think we’ve all seen or heard performances that inspire us musically, and it’s from someone who we consider to be an authentic real musician with talent.
Some street performances come to mind, one was in New Orleans, where a 12 year old blew my mind with a clarinet solo. I was happy to tip them.

Contrast that to some of the YouTubers, I won’t name names, but some of them make music that is really lousy, and yet they are popular. No tip for them :slight_smile:

IOW - We have this same intense reaction to music we think is THE shit, and music we think IS shit.

4 Likes

Not just that, but also the fact that these dudes complain and point fingers and demand more money for what they do, with seemingly no introspection as to what they could be doing differently.

Personally that’s what really makes me really disrespect their attitude and behavior.

2 Likes

The problem is that changes to algorithm and site design affect income (reflecting eventually on Patreon) based on SEO and dark patterns used to engage with SEO, so “what they could be doing differently” is wildly divergent from the sorts of content us viewers here would prefer.

That’s crazymaking if you care about any of it, and obviously they’ve considered dropping out entirely of the game or there wouldn’t be venting.

MADNESS.

I’m honestly too distractible to get in synthfluencer loops, I watch occasional demos if I’m curious about like, the Waldorf Microwave I,II, M comparisons or similar, I watch Bad Synths because he takes the time to put everything through its paces, but I need to make more music than watch, always.

4 Likes

The “Soup Nazi” was on to something :joy:

I see what you mean but it should not apply. I think someone said something about mixing passion in hobby with work is a no-no or to that effect.

If I read you correctly, you are saying it’s a combination of sorts, e.g. pursuing something good while benefitting oneself at the same time - then here personal gain takes priority as the reason - for without that motive, the event would not have occurred in the first place. No smoke without fire. You could be looking at the behaviour (symptoms) but missed the intent (source). I’d give you two more analogies though they may not be the best examples:

1. A murder is a murder, the intention (motive) makes the difference. Manslaughter vs Premediated.
  2. A volunteer (helps the community) is no longer a volunteer when he/she receives monetary gains (comparable to a hired person). Acid test - offer no monetary/in-kind benefit to see if volunteer numbers change.

If all else fails, follow the money.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of True Crime, sorry!

Jokes aside, making a living can be a nightmare for many artists and new media “monetization” focus is no better. I don’t see a need to assign bad motives to anyone having trouble balancing principles with income.

I’ll judge selling scam “tokens”, NFTs or similar hypercapitalist trash, but not the errant vlogger-confessional step behind the curtain of any youtuber that otherwise tries.

7 Likes

Every adult should own up and be responsible for his/her life choices.

Not going into personal opinions here. Thanks for chiming in and sharing what is a “false binary”.

“I don’t see a need”… “I’ll judge selling scam”…

1 Like

I’m talking about my particular lens, why i’m not thinking harshly of them.

“follow the money”

Ok yes. they’re trying to make a living. Conspiracy spotted!

Edit: This, but Youtube-

4 Likes

What conspiracy are you referring to. Are you okay?

Ok yes. they’re trying to make a living. Conspiracy spotted!

The only synth videos I regularly watch are tutorials on how to do very specific things on gear I own.

I can’t think of a recent gear demo video that had sounds/music I actually wanted to hear. Blind leading the blind for the most part, except for 5% of videos.

2 Likes

I just happened to end up here again and realised, someone should tell RMR that the devs actually do pay YouTubers to make great video content on their kits. He’s just not one of them.

Just watched Tinez Digitakt videos as this came to mind.

1 Like

Wow…a lot of salty MF’ers on this forum that just love to hate. He’s 100% accurate when he talks about reddit and this forum, amongst others…

3 Likes

He’s not though.
And welcome to the internet.

2 Likes

Forgot about this thread

1 Like

Disagree. Plenty of evidence in this thread.

Welcome to the internet…lol.
Does every public space need to be filled with negativity and smart ass comments? …SMH.

1 Like

Who’s salty, calling people MFers, though?

9 Likes

It doesn’t have to, but it sure is more funny when it is.

And this thread isn’t even that negative. When a person goes public with his gripes and calls out people, people might react.

Seems more like he was being vulnerable and honest, expressing his feelings and people took the chance to attack.

Whats wrong with calling people Mooger Foogers…

3 Likes

I don’t really get the insane hate synth communities have towards youtubers… It seems like a ton of it is purely driven by jealousy over them getting “free” gear? The ones that are even remotely popular are putting in some insane hours creating content and trying to grow their channels, its a ton of work i’m sure. Sometimes the mass content drops from every creator on the same day can be annoying, but just don’t watch it :slight_smile:

The amount of hate Andrew Huang got over on modwiggler when the Ghost module was announced was absolutely baffling to me… I don’t know how anyone can watch his content (and actually pay attention and have an open mind) and say things like “hes not a real musician” or “he doesn’t know what hes talking about”, “he has no talent” etc…

:man_shrugging:

6 Likes