Fascinating inside scoop on being a full-time Synth YouTuber

Privilege? The guy worked hard for all his gear, same as you or anyone else on this planet (Unless RMR magically inherited all of that gear)

He didn’t just wake up one morning with a room of gear and suddenly have a successful youtube channel with plenty of subs and content.

3 Likes

Jexus rules. Amazing talent that shines in his videos.

1 Like

I love RMR. But I totally understand how his personality and presentation rub people the wrong way. He gets pissy and shrill with his opinions sometimes, and also gets emotionally carried away, which gets him in trouble here. A good example is him calling this forum toxic, which almost certainly had to do with him getting really raked over the coals after he messed up with his preemptive content release…all the while those of us who frequent it here see that yes, things may sometimes devolve into shittiness, but by far the lion’s share of engagement here is helpful and supportive.

But I do after all think his heart is in the right place. And without a doubt his education is very much on point. His Digitone videos are tremendous…really cemented for me the decision to buy one, and then provided huge value for me learning it once it arrived. His Soft Music to do Nothing To albums are seriously fucking good too.

Anyhoo, lots of awesome people are also often assholes sometimes too.

12 Likes

Jexus is who got me into synthesizers. Stumbled upon his Blofeld demo YEARS ago and it blew my mind.

1 Like

he gives boomer vibes but automatic gainsay’s monologue videos effectively taught me the fundamentals of analog subtractive synthesis in like an hour

i was so stoked on the monologue and that was partially due to his excitement over it being so genuine and contagious. his self-aware dad humor and positivity really facilitated the learning experience and is highly responsible for my subsequent interest in electronic music (i have also learned a lot from oscillator sink’s videos on the dt /dn as well)

after a while you develop an instinct and are able to discern which content makers are sincerely motivated by an intent to educate (they usually clearly have other jobs) and which ones are trying to make a career out of being a lifestyle brand

4 Likes

I’ve been there many times and I can tell you with certainty - this is nowhere near that.

1 Like

Stop fueling the delirium.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Screen-Shot-2017-08-06-at-4.30.45-PM

2 Likes

I’m Bick Rames, Jitch!

2 Likes

So I was recently on the North Coast Synthesis website and he actually has disclosures about product reviews: Video-related disclosures

All this talk about synth YouTuber authenticity, and that page shows that it’s manufacturers whom we should be asking for more authenticity.