Favorite Drum Synth VST

I am going to be going out of town for a while next month and have decided to just take my laptop with me instead of bringing any music gear. I think I am pretty set with the VST synths and effects I have, but I don’t really have anything for non-sampled drum sounds. So I was wondering what everyone’s’ favorite VST drum synths were. Thanks!

2 Likes

Just for doing kick design but hella worth it:

1 Like

Awesome. Funny how the kick takes most of my time from design through to mixing and mastering lol.

1 Like

Drum Computer for sure.
Playbeat 3 for if you have samples (or make them/resample from other sources yourself).

Do you have an MPC? Because the drum synth plugins inside the MPC are fantastic if you want to make your own drum synth sounds… very much like the Analog Rytm IMO.

1 Like

Kick2 for kicks, Operator for noisy percussion

1 Like

Drum Computer looks great, it is definitely toward the top of my list. I don’t see it mentioned very often for some reason so I am glad to hear your recommendation. Not taking any gear with me (including MPC), just my laptop.

Microtonic: Microtonic Demonstration - YouTube

7 Likes

Yeah I got that… but if you have an MPC you’ll have the MPC desktop software that works standalone or as a VST, and I’d be more than happy to only have that and Drum Computer personally (and Ableton, which also has it’s own really good drum synth plugins).

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like
1 Like

I also recently tried the Basimilus Iteritas plugin which sounds surprisingly good and a bit more modern than a lot of the other drum VSTs I tried.

1 Like

Steinberg Backbone is pretty cool. You can load your own samples into it and either use the built AI to generate new variations of that sample or! Deconstruct the sample to separate the tonal elements from the noise elements for further processing. The processing is extensive. The effects are really good too.

I like to separate the noise elements from the tonal elements and then duplicate the noise elements, ever so slightly process the formant or playback speed (without affecting pitch) then pan those noise elements (leaving the tonal elements mono) for some massive sounding stereo kick sounds… can do it with hats and snare too.