Favorite Rapper and Why is it MF DOOM?

haa the junkies always kill it, not gonna derail this thread any longer but this is one of my favs

4 Likes

Anyone watch this one when it came out?

In my case I listed “my favorites” no battle necessary. :wink:

My son (23) shows me good modern rappers all the time. He’s actually very good himself.

I’m 46 so of course I’m going to like my old favorites, but I completely appreciate anyone with skill even if it’s not my style. Danny Brown comes to mind.

I also love the old elementary and middle school (for me favorites like Too Short :wink: )

I mean, I wouldn’t say he’s the most skilled, and maybe the content no longer has the same pull as it did when I was 12, but he’s got a really good, funky, synth sound, and I like the sound of his voice.

I’m really more into the Del / Hieroglyphics style stuff, J5, etc. though. Maybe older EPMD, etc.

As far as battles, I’d toss KRS in the ring.

My son plays me a lot of Logic, Kendrick, Tyler, etc. or people a lot more obscure because he actually runs in those circles a bit (except now he has a punk(ish) band so who knows where that’ll go…)

3 Likes

I had planned on posting some old DMC stuff too, but went with the newer QBert video as a counter angle. :wink:

1 Like

Makes me wonder if certain barriers will be broken down even more in the future.
With more older folks performing locally and playing shows. Maybe the next generation will see more of that, and eventually it won’t be so awkward to see anyone post 50 picking up steam with their music.

When I go to gigs, I usually feel old, and that’s changing fast. It won’t stop me from trying, but it definitely stifles my optimism or ambition even.

Some good shouts already.

I was at Audiotistica in 2001 at Long Beach’s convention center and remember seeing Cut Chemist and I think Dj Shortcut, go back and forth, and the acrobatics just kept getting increasingly more intense. Now I was on a different plane of reality, but I’m pretty sure at one point Cut Chemist started building sentences with two different records, of the same documentary speaker. That was a wild night. Super Natural was there too, and remains one of the best off the dome freestylist I’ve ever seen live.

In terms of newer stuff put out by known artist and excluding the legions of really talented but lesser known artist, I have to echo Kenny Brown, and Jpegmafia. I love the rawness and passion they put into their work. I’ve also come to really appreciate Tyler The Creator over the past few years as he’s come into his own. He’s such a talented artist, who I admire for knowing exactly what he’s trying to say, and how he wants it said, and done.
I really appreciate music that is authentic, and talks about the highs and lows of living life. The good and the bad.
Music comes in waves, and I’m always excited to see how new artist take their inspirations, flip it, and make it their own.

3 Likes

Shadow, Krush, Cam, etc… I miss that style.

3 Likes

all good artist mentioned… the genre has just been going through it’s own alternative reality for too long… and it’s finally starting to turn around but it ain’t out the woods yet… todays nonsense has definitely given rise to the new lease on life of MC level rappers of the past so in a way that’s a good thing but the culture is not out of the woods yet… we’re still in a time where someone like jack harlow who’s actually very skilled is having his own career killed by his own success because his overseers don’t actually want him to show his skill :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Anyone said Kool G Rap yet? Dude definitely doesn’t get enough credit, but I don’t feel like digging my post up to edit it.

2 Likes

lol do I count?

Definitely, father of the new school style. Ahead of the game.

2 Likes

I would assume you count haha, this thread exploded and I skimmed a lot haha.

1 Like

Japan dj’s were a thing for a while there.

3 Likes

Happened to have a good friend there during that time. He had been an exchange student here. My brother has also lived there off and on. I went there in maybe 2000ish and that style as well as some really nice techno was coming out of Japan. I got to see a very interesting cross section of genres at the Liquid Room and a few other smaller places.

Which reminds me!!!

Scha Dara Parr

(More or less Japan’s Beasties)

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

“Cause nobody can do it like Mix Master can…”

2 Likes

Y’know, Latifah’s first album is kinda the shit. She definitely was on the Native Tongue tip (no pun intended) and Mark the 45 King was on point. I love that record.

2 Likes