Favourite Gear for Cafe?

I bring my laptop.

I’d probably do the opposite and have a little chat with that nerd. Chances are that it will be an Elektronaut.

6 Likes

My brain immediately shifted into early '90s mode and now wants me to bring a 9-pin dot matrix printer into a cafe. No, bad mind! Chill!

I completed the sale of my EX5 at a suburban Starbucks. Nothing safer than a 76-key, 44 lb workstation. Not terribly practical for jamming or working on a sketch of an idea though. :joy:

Same. My ~$300 Sony ANC headphones stay home, but my tiny bone conduction headphones travel with me everywhere. My preferred fountain pen is getting more and more expensive every year, but even a $1000 Montblanc is pretty anonymous in all but the sketchiest of cafes.

If I’m not at a Starbucks Doing Business (drinking bad coffee and having meetings), I prefer a Moleskine and a nice pen.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I gotta say. And I hate to say it. But like why go to a cafe to make music lol?

I’ve bought pocket operators. Had an op-1 had the dirty wave and occasionally I’d bring it out to the park. Or play with it on commutes of if I’m hanging at someone’s house.

But going to a coffee shop to make beats just doesn’t sit right with me lol. No judgement though I’d just feel like an idiot.

15 Likes

psa - even moleskine is a red flag in 2023

I’ve seen people do less productive things at cafes, I have no judgement on this point. I have grown out of $9 latte’s though.

2 Likes

Moleskines r still sexy 2023 I’ma fan lol

1 Like

I love the sound of a busy cafe: the grinding of coffee punctuated by the rush of steam and a murmur of conversation. I’m often tempted to pull out a field recorder, but it feels too creepy to press record. Some things are best experienced in the moment.

How about Field Notes?

7 Likes

I’m going to be going to a cafe anyway. If I’m in a cafe, I’m generally doing one of two things. Using iPhone/iPad or small music gear.

only if that is a te product I am not yet aware of.

3 Likes

They are pretty much the TE of notebooks. I do have a few of their special editions, but can’t bring myself to actually subscribe.

2 Likes

The amount of times I’ve been inspired to use a field recorder but scared to pull it out is wild lol.

I usually just throw it back n my pocket while recording or try to hide it n my palm. think the whole thing with playing stuff at a cafe or anywhere in public is really I don’t like the idea of the attention I might get even though high chances nobody’s paying me any mind either way lol

2 Likes

OP-1 works great for me as so portable and can use headphones and fit in small case.

1 Like

Discovered this dilemma the other day when using Koala in a cafe. The default behaviour if you press an empty pad is not to pick a sample, but to enable the microphone. My brain went “ooo I can record” then “ooo that would be creepy”

1 Like

Korg mini kaoss pad 2. It can record to SD card and has a headphone out, so anything you bring with it to jam on can be captured in the moment, and you can play back recordings too, and crossfade them DJ style with the live input while recording all that again. Overdub with effects in other words. It’s quite battery hungry though.

2 Likes

Time for a quest for beans good enough that you enjoy them as a shot or macchiato. Sugar is so much better when it’s a minimal, almost a homeopathic dose.

1 Like

1 Like

I need an adult

you my friend, need a voice activated field recorder.

I’d get some odd looks getting anything gear related out in the cafe I go to. It’d also prob end up covered in baked bean juice or strong tea. Plus I don’t think the other customers would appreciate me tying up a table for an impromptu dawless jam

3 Likes

It’s tempting to go over to FountainPenNetwork and post that meme, but with a Syntakt and MC-101.

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes