Field recorders

Your friend is right, the noise floor on Zoom recorders (H5/H6) and Tascam recorders is higher than on Sound Devices MixPres or some of the Sony recorders…but unless you‘re recording the crawling sounds of insects or something really quiet along those lines, you should be fine with an H6.

I do want to upgrade my H5 to a MixPre device down the line, but there’s no rush and given how big the price difference is, I’d say it’s a bit of a luxury move (certainly in my case…which is why it hasn’t happened yet :))

1 Like

Well I’m more interested in loud sounds rather than really quiet ones, but couldnt you just use separate pre amp if you want? It’s not that hissy, is it?

I had this Ulysse 31 one!

1 Like

H5 can be a bit noisy, and can be pretty bad with usb ground loops. My powerbank went flat the other day when i was using it so quickly plugged H5 into a usb hub off the pc. Ground loop hum was pretty awful and present in the recording but basically disappeared in the sound of the recorded synth. Just depends on your use case whether its an issue.

I’m kind of intrigued with the Sound Devices Mix pre 3 II. Anyone have any experience?

2 Likes

Anyone here using your Zoom field recorders with your iPhone as a compact multitrack recorder? If so, any app recommendations? I connected my H6 to GarageBand for the first time today and it seems to work pretty well, just wondering if there are better options. I plan to put it through the paces this weekend as I really haven’t done much recording on iOS devices. It seemed to work well with the camera app as well. I would need to get an adapter to get it to work with my iPad (USB C), but I’m thinking maybe the iPhone would be good enough.

I was talking about the preamps of the H5. If you’re stationary, I’d def go with either a proper audio interface or a dedicated preamp, either will have the H5 beat. For field recordings, it’s a great device that offers outrageous value-for-money.

Recording louder sources, you should definitely be fine with an H5/H6.

I got a brand new original Zoom H4N for $50 at a flea market store in middle-of-nowhere NH the other week. I was so surprised. It’s a great upgrade from my original Edirol R-09 that’s over a decade old. Best of all, the Zoom works as an audio interface for my iPad!

1 Like

I just came across this H6 video. I definitely need to experiment more with recording hand percussion with mine.

4 Likes

Eyoo I’ve got my new (used) H6 waiting in the car, thanks for the vid!

1 Like

Hello everyone,

does someone have a good tip for a field recorder? The recordings are intended to be used in tracks, such as nature recordings, and can cost up to 300 euros.
Greetings, Rob

I got a zoom h5 and I really like it, I use the included xy mic for field recordings and the line ins to sample records

1 Like

yes, the h5, it seems to be popular. whether the h4n pro is similar?

Internal or external mic/s?

…u can’t go wrong with this average standard…biggest bang for ur buck…

…and if u wanna be ready for all pro missions…

best of both worlds…

no to forget…cheapest option…still doing all fine…

3 Likes

haven’t tried the h4n pro but specs look similar to h5.
h5 comes with foam wind protector though

1 Like

:wink: I can’t answer that, I’m almost new in this area;)

And H5 has exchangeable mic modules. Not sure how useful this is, though.

I’ve never come across any other type other than XY, but I wouldn’t mind some other mic like shotgun for example

Zoom H2n and a dead cat cover.

Cheap and powerful. I’m sure the newer recorders are better in all sorts of interesting ways but the H2n will usually get the job done.

1 Like