Field recorders

Don t get an H2n if you need sub-low.

And that s also the thread where all of the above is already discussed in detail.

4 Likes

thank you for the tip. it will be the h5, I think you can’t go wrong with that and it is mentioned and recommended very often.

1 Like

You can buy an extension for it so you can have 4 line in inputs and use it as a 4-track recorder for your synths.

2 Likes

A new one for the list from Tascam.

4 Likes

Is there a price on this?

This looks pretty nice

$499

1 Like

Thanks. I had been looking at the Tascam DR-40x at $199 (as replacement for my $99 Zoom H1n, which is a little too small, light, and fiddly). 150% more may not be worth it for me.

Yeah, I was hoping for around $400 when I saw the release.

1 Like

Actually looks really good. Been waiting for something like this. I’m not a huge fan of touch screens, but on a portable sensitive device it makes a lot of sense to avoid buttons clicking noises and things like that. It’s nice and minimal with little visual noise cluttering the device. 32bit, usb c power delivery. Price isn’t bad too, compared to the competition. Be cool to see some reviews. Only thing you hope is the responsiveness of that screen holds up over time. Otherwise only bummer for me is that curved bottom side - would have been a perfect opportunity for a flat side given there’s not much else done there, so the recorder can be placed vertically for a recording if need be.

3 Likes

The Portacapture X8 seems a pretty reasonable deal at USD499, given its excellent but far-less-capable predecessor, the DR-100 Mk3 - which I own - was retailing for similar money around the time it was discontinued.

Given the X8’s signal-to-noise numbers are effectively the same as those for the DR-100 Mk3 (already the best in this class of semi-pro device), plus all the additional inputs and recording features, it’s hard to fault it.

If they’ve at least maintained the build quality of the DR-100 Mk3 (better than the comparable Zoom, IMHO) then it’s a no-brainer.

I hope the venerable George Vlad gives it the once over before long. He knows his stuff!

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m really excited about this one. Gonna get back into field recordings, and this looks great. Also looks great for hooking up some mics and make shit demos of my band

1 Like

I’m a total nitwit about this subject so please excuse my ignorance.
I have an audio recorder in my iPhone.
What does a field recorder add ?
Just wondering.

Better microphones and convertors, and mic inputs/preamps to use other full-size microphones. Many also have line inputs for recording a line source and mic source(s) simultaneously as separate audio files.

Going all in on field recording next spring/summer when we go back to the Greek islands. My wife is totally in on this, she is very excited as well. Which makes spending money on it a LOT easier.

Sound Devices MixPre 6II + a high end stereo pair, (Sennheiser/Schoeps/Sanken/… not sure yet) and if budget allows also a high end hydrophone.

Looking forward to work outside with audio,… instead of being between a few walls all the time.

If I’m recording metallic bangs and hits for later processing into percussion sounds, will those better components really make a difference ?

Processing possibilities expand with higher quality/frequency recordings.

Yes, they will. The microphone on your phone will never be able to compete in terms of sonic fidelity. And the post processing becomes a lot more difficult with lesser fidelity. But if you like the quality and results you get with your phone, just use that. It’s all good.

The main melody in this song was recorded with an iPhone.

3 Likes

I recommend the app Loopfield for iPhone. It’s cheap, you can record field recordings, loop them, add granular effects - it’s neat.

2 Likes

Probably longer battery life.

My iPhone 6S dies in a laughably tiny amount of time compared to even a low end Zoom recorder, which can record multiple hours of audio.

3 Likes