Field recorders

IMHO if you don’t foresee needing combo-jacks, then the F3 is a great choice. However, it’s lack of even a 1/8" stereo plug-in-power input was a deal breaker for me. I also like having 1/4" inserts for things like EMF recordings, which is why I ended up with the Tascam X8. The artifacts at 50khz and above (when recording in 32/192) are definitely there, but they haven’t presented any real use case issues for me yet, and one could easily remove them in post, if you’re the type to pull up all your audio recordings in Spectralayers or iZotope RX anyways. Not trying to deter anyone from the F3 by any means. Just doesn’t offer enough flexibility for me.

You have one? How is it in use? Do you hear touchscreen manipulations when using the internal mics?

Yup! The internal noise and handling noise isn’t bad. It’s a little sturdier than my H4n Pro, therefore the handling noise is better when using the attached XY/AB mics, especially if you’re using any grip attachment instead of just holding it in your hand. More times than not, you won’t be messing with the screen or the levels while you’re recording, you’d set them prior by hitting record once which allows you to monitor the audio and set levels, then hit record a second time to start the recording. So, I can’t comment definitively on the touchscreen manipulations but I’ll play around with it today.

I usually use Clippys (same capsules as the wonderful but typically sold out LOM UsiPros) on a tripod (stationary) or clipped to my backpack straps if I’m mobile. This allows me to leave the recorder in my bag. I have the bluetooth adapter, so I can monitor levels from my phone’s screen if I need to. The mobile app ended up being pretty nifty and responsive. Worth reiterating that the bluetooth adapter does not transmit audio to external devices, it simply serves to allow you to use a phone/tablet to control the unit’s touchscreen.

Hope this helps. Check out FreeToUseSounds if you’re interested in seeing more examples of the X8 in the wild and an honest review of its pros/cons.

EDIT: And the bluetooth adapter is sold separately, which is annoying, but most companies are going that route. :rage:

Update: @dtr Confirming no discernible touchscreen manipulation/tapping noises when recording.

3 Likes

Ah yeah , overlooked that :sweat_smile:. Need jacks

2 Likes

My Tascam DR-05 just gave up the ghost, leaking AA battery fried it. Are they still the best choice for a compact recorder? I’ve previously had the H1N (too fiddly) and bigger ones like the H5 which had a ton of features that I never used…

I use either my 1010 Music Bluebox mixer recorder or Motu audio interface to DAW on my laptop. Both work well but for quick and dirty the Bluebox is such a great tool.

1 Like

I still love my H4n Pro for quick handheld use. I think they just dropped the price a bit, too. Just keep in mind that the onboard mics are XY and can’t be moved to AB, if that matters to you at all. It does have 90/120°-variable setting to provide a wider stereo recording. Not sure if the regular H4n does that.

Lots of great compact handheld options now though. Not to mention, you can do pretty cool shit with just your phone and a 1/8" or USB mic nowadays.

1 Like

Tanx!

About the clippys on tripod, do you have a horizontal bar on it to create separation?

Jack-xlr cables are a negligible investment, no?

1 Like

Exactly! I use this simple K&M bar when doing an ORTF recording setup. Paired with a little, flexible Ulanzi MT-33 tripod.

1 Like

I’ve seen enough @DaveMech videos to know he has already made this investment in cabling. :rofl:

EDIT: And I’ve bought cables based on his suggestions. Thanks, Dave!

1 Like

I use exactly the same - but I have different tripods I can use! (Really easy to solder the capsules)

image image image

5 Likes

Twins! Such a perfect compact setup. Our secret is out. :joy:

The fact that micbooster.com offers the EM272 Capsule in so many cabling varieties is extremely cool.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’ve even got another pair of capsules that I will (eventually) 3d print some ears, a canal and a pseudo head in which to mount them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome binaural idea. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done 1000+ recordings with just the iPhone’s internal mic, to make sample fodder for FieldScaper. Sometimes less fidelity is good :slight_smile:

But for actually capturing the sound of an environment accurately, the Zoom and Tascam options were way better.

2 Likes

Will do! I’ll get my arse in gear and print them in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just an FYI (if you use an iphone) - amazon (uk) were selling sennheiser ambeo smart headsets for £25 a few weeks ago - not sure if they still have any…. they’re pretty amazing for the price…

3 Likes

I’m seeing them for 50USD now… any good?

1 Like

Yes! Really good - I think they are better than my cs10em - I recall they were originally about £280 ??? (I think) but are now end of line. At this price they are a crazy crazy good deal!
One really nice thing is that you can easily record in public places without anyone realising! That is worth a hell of a lot. The sound quality is really good as well….
I’m even thinking of getting a second pair just as a spare at that price!

2 Likes