Field recorders

So there’s binaural mics in the earphones? That’s crazy. Will definitely check these out.

2 Likes

Yes - mounted on the ear piece. There’s really good isolation from the headphone as well…
It uses your actual head to generate the binaural-ness so you can record in cafes, on the street, etc….

2 Likes

Indeed. In this case it has to do with my contact mics that use jacks. And sure, one could buy a jack female to XLR but it becomes a bit clunky that way.

Still a bit interested in the F3 though. Its size and functionality are really great :slight_smile:

1 Like

One solution for the F3 would be running your contact mics through a Hosa MIT-129 1/4 inch TS to XLR Male Impedance Transformer. I’d suggest it anyways, as it produces remarkable low-end when paired with contact mics.

1 Like

It’s a TS plug to xlr via a transformer so plug-in power is problematic though (for the em272 and contact mics using plug in power?) Or have I misunderstood? (very very likely!)

I also have those Hosa MIT-129 when I use contact mic’s on the MixPre3 II. But here my stereophonic zoom handheld set.

7 Likes

Haha no, I’m with ya! Sorry, that comment was to be in response to @DaveMech / the F3 / contact mics specifically. If your contact mics are hi-z, you’ll want to run it through that transformer ideally, and that’d also solve the F3 issue of only having XLR inputs.

2 Likes

Oh nice. Thanks for the tip!
Bit clunky when connected I guess but this definitely does seem worth it. Cheers

1 Like

For the really tiny clip-on mics, I found that folding a normal index card into a T-shape was good enough for strong binaural effects.

Clip the mics on to the smaller upturned edges, the middle ridge needs to be tall enough to block sound. Probably completely unnecessary if you are using shotguns - I was using cheap omnis or cardioids.

2 Likes

Beautiful setup… :drooling_face: Which shotgun is that?

Here’s my compact setup in action today. Around 10 degrees in Chicago, so this thread helped hype me up to get out the door lol.

2 Likes

Are those Rycote windjammers?

which mics are those?

On the tripod is a stereo-matched pair of Pluggys and on top of the Tascam X8 are a pair of Mini Pluggys. Bubblebee Windbubbles on all of them.

I wanted to throw the hydrophones in the water but it was just too cold.

4 Likes

Ive had ZOOM H5 for more than 5 years now? and its one of my favourite pieces of audio gear.
Despite it having more self noise than i would like to, i still reach for it because of how well designed and convenient it is. Really bonded to the character it has. :cat:

Sometimes i think about trying out a different capsule, but it seems like stereo shotgun is the best one so far (to my ear), and im afraid that would compromise some of its portability. (as if i go outside :see_no_evil:)

I doubt there’s gonna be more new capsules for original standart, since ZOOM is already releasing 2.0 capsules for H8 and Q8n-4K + they made all direction types at least two times now, but i hope someone can correct me on that.

If someone is on the fence about getting a used h5 for ~150$ in 2022
I still think its a very useful tool that beats a lot of the newer and more expensive options.

P.S. ive never tried modern Tascam recorders, and maybe Sony pcm-d series is good? but i dont trust Sony :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

Sony Pro Audio is very different from Sony Consumer Electronics.

The Sony M10 is still among the best portable recorders ever made and is regularly used as a benchmark in comparison tests. The D-series is better, but much more expensive.

Incidentally, M10 prices on eBay are reasonable - a little more than new, but not the 2x or 3x I’ve seen in the path. They run on AAs and MicroSD cards, so should be good forever. The clock often needs to be reset, but that’s a small price to pay for such a good compact recorder.

3 Likes

Yes, they are - picked them up from micbooster as well…

1 Like

It’s the Rode NTG3 shotgun mic.

I have to say that field recording is kind of a rabbit hole of upgrading equipment all the time. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

D100 is very popular amongst filed recorders too but now discontinued. The D10 doesn’t seem to be available here in NL.

Not sure if it’s ever been mentioned here, but Taper Section is a site I used to frequent back in my field recording days.

https://taperssection.com/index.php

5 Likes

very good and usable as a soundcard.