Field recorders

Many problems with the Tascam X8 according to this review:

Here’s also a series of informative clips, as mentioned by @Slugabed:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YrIUsALZVdlX-bzLde_CbIm5c104YdQ

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this review. I previously referenced that YouTuber intentionally because of their “unbiased” reviews, whose experience with the device is very similar to mine. My experience and opinion is less in line with the Mindful Audio reviewer, and keep in mind they’re comparing it to devices that cost $300-500 more. Could/should somebody with a Mixpre justify buying this? Probably not! Do I think if you can afford and are serious enough to own a Mixpre or F6, instead of the X8, then you should? Absolutely!

The attached/detachable microphones do feel cheap, though they sound quite good and are more sensitive than my H4n Pro. That being said, I’ve already replaced them with the Mini Pluggys that I referenced earlier, for greater ease of use + flexibility, and I just enjoy the sound of EM272s. I can switch from AB to XY in an instant vs having to screw anything off. So for me, being able to remove the included mics and have 2 plug-in-power minijacks (albeit mono pair) is nifty! He also says there is no stereo minijack, but that’s not true. There’s one on the side of the unit and I’ve used/tested it with stereo EMF mics. It just doesn’t provide plug-in-power.

I don’t doubt all of their audio grievances are very real, but the only one I’ve encountered is what I stated earlier as well, the ultrasonic hum (that you cannot hear). It is quite embarrassing that this would get past QC and they wouldn’t check spectrograms, but Tascam is very aware of it so we’ll see what happens. Again, doesn’t get in the way of anything I’m doing currently but for someone who may do serious pitching or sampling manipulation with their recordings, it’s not ideal. Haven’t encountered any frequency bumps and I always keep limiters off.

Politely disagree with some of their UX issues. I found the menus and navigation intuitive, especially coming from the H4n. I’m sure 90% of people reading this will only use the Manual app anyways. Being able to record 6 channels at once and solo any of them at a given time, for me, is very useful and fun.

Tl:dr; Should Tascam have spent more time QCing and making this device w/ “pro” users in mind instead of trying to make the iphone of field recorders for everyone? Yes! Do I still really, really enjoy using it and does it allow me and encourage me to quickly and flexibly record sounds? Yes!

You’ll see the YouTuber is in the same messy relationship with it that I am. Would I recommend it? I dunno! Am I going to continue using it over similar alternatives until I can justify a F6/Mixpre purchase or similar? Absolutely.

2 Likes

you simply cannot go wrong with Sound Devices…

We had the older version of what is now the 888 (i can’t recall if it was still called the 888) and I was shocked because i didn’t think people even made products of that quality anymore.

I haven’t used the cheaper models but anyone who could make something like that is miles beyond the other brands.

3 Likes

Just picked up a zoom h1n to experiment with recording and this thread pops up! Cool! Hopefully I won’t get annoyed with the start and end point detail on the rytm, but I’m excited to record some rain

2 Likes

Ugh Thomann announced my X8 delivery is again postponed, till March 10th now. Not holding my breath though…

I had been considering canceling after the reviews but I m gonna give it a try like you did. Really would like a trusty all-in-one recording device. I don t have any external mics yet. But they better ship before I come up with another plan… Pluggies & clippies looking very nice!

1 Like

Damn, sorry to hear it! If you go the route of Pluggies/Clippies, just give yourself about ~2 weeks leadtime for shipping. That’s about how long it’s taken in my experience.

I just got super lucky and finally scored a used LOM Geofon on Reverb. I’ve been trying to get one for over a year…

1 Like

Good news about the Sony PCM-D100 because it’s getting another production run.
https://www.sony.jp/ic-recorder/products/PCM-D100/

February 1, 2022

Sony Marketing Inc.

Notice of resumption of order acceptance for linear PCM recorders “PCM-D100” and “PCM-D10”

Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.

Due to the problem of parts supply, the linear PCM recorders “PCM-D100” and “PCM-D10” could not be supplied sufficiently to meet the demand, so we stopped accepting temporary orders from March 10, 2021. However, we will resume accepting orders.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers during the period when orders are not accepted.

Record

[Resume date and time of order acceptance]

Friday, February 4, 2022 10:00

10 Likes

Fantastic news.

I have a Sony PCM M10. I bought it about 7 years ago and have never used it but I’ve recently decided to get into using found sounds (been on a Matthew Herbert binge). Does anyone know if there is a windshield that fits? The M10 is quite an old model and I’ve not been able to find any official wind shield.

1 Like

There was an official Sony fuzzy shield, I’ve got one. The Zoom H2n fuzzy also fits, but is a bit long.

1 Like

Nice! If anyone sees the Sony D100 in stock in Europe, please let me know. I got another delay notification from Thomann about my Tascam X8 order…

2 Likes

Halleluja! They finally put it on the mail…

2 Likes

I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset for 3D field recording with my iPhone. The soundquality coming out of this „head mics“ seem good enough to me and for my needs, but I am a bit unsatisfied with the level of control I have in the standard iOS audio recorder. Do you have an app tip for me, which app might give more control about eg. mic input loudness, eqing etc? Or do I simply should turn to AUM?

apparently in stock

2 Likes

Did you by any chance see a suitable wind jammer for the Tascam X8?

@dtr I’m holding out for Bubblebee Industries who are supposedly making a Windkiller for it. In the meantime, I’m using Bubblebee Industries “Windbubbles” lav size 4 when in use with the mini pluggys and when I’m using the provided Tascam capsules I squeeze on one that Zoom made for the H4N. Tascam’s WS-11 is what I think most are likely using, though I’m told it’s not great.

1 Like

DIY is where its at.
I got some fluffy furry material from a sewing shop, bit of foam. Got busy with a glue gun and stapler. You can jam even more wind with Custom made :sunglasses:

Did that for my DR05. Havnt got round to making one to fit the DR40x I just got.

1 Like

Do you have a photo of that?

Yep.

This one is bulky. But maximum wind jam.
You can make anything you want, a youtube search reveals a range of ideas.

3 Likes

Does anybody know if there is a field recorder that doubles up as a very good audio interface?

I need both an audio interface and a field recorder. I know many field recorders can be used as audio interfaces as well, but I want quality - in both cases.

Specifically I would like to be able to send the audio Signal from my gear into the field recorder and to my computer to apply effects through VSTs. Then back into the recorder to record.

Is there anything like that?

Or it’s better to just get two different products?