Field recorders

what microphones are people using in the field with the zoom f3?

anyone has experience with the tula mic for field recording?

Cool Thanks, IĀ“m going to try the main outs with XLR to 1/8 cable into the H1n and see how it works out.

1 Like

Iā€˜m using the Rode NT5 MP with omni capsules. Recently built a binaural setup out of a Yoga Block and rubber ears.

7 Likes

Looks like fun. Iā€™ve had good results with a pair of tiny clip-on mics attached to a note card folded into a T shape. Using human-head dimensions and ears should be a nice improvement.

1 Like

Thats next level!

A question, have you tried using the F3 as an audio interface? I just wonder how it works given lack of gain settings on the device itself.

1 Like

You can set the level of ā€œamplificationā€ (as they call it) on the Zoom F3, but if I understand it correctly, the whole idea of the 32 float digital conversion is that the resolution is fine enough that this does not really matter (you can, for example, later-on boost the recording of a weak signal without raising the noise floor). I tried the audio interface function when I got the F3 and found that it works fine, but I do not normally use it as an interface. The operation manuel describes the 32bit float operation in detail: F3Operation Manual

1 Like

Smaller version of the 32-float Tascam X8 coming out. Two XLR inputs (no xlr/jack comboā€™s unfortunately). 96k max instead of 192k, which should be fine for most of us.

3 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s how they ā€œfixedā€ the noise issue people had with the x8?

Due to discounts on the x8, x6 is only $20 cheaper.

Iā€™m sorry for asking such an uninspired question without doing deeper research but what is the highest quality field recorder in the sub 800 dollar range?

I would keep it on me a lot of the time and use it handheld to collect sounds from my journeys

Do you want to record very quiet sources, like subtle outdoor ambience and the like? Because then you really want the best preamps you can afford and a good mic, maybe a Zoom F3 with a stereo or mono mic on a short cable, but thatā€™s more fiddly and less pocket friendly than an all-in-one unit.

If youā€™re recording more like SFX from loud sources then most of the handhelds will be plenty suitable, and you probably want to choose based on build quality and compactness. Iā€™ve been considering getting a Sony A10 as a slightly more compact option than my venerable M10 for something to keep in my pocket, and thereā€™s also a bunch of Olympus recorders that could be decent, the LS-P5 was the most recent one I think and Iā€™m curious about how good it is.

1 Like

If only Sound Devices made a handheld 32bit-float recorderā€¦

Or even just 24bit with analogue limiters would be lovely.

2 Likes

As far as sound quality is concerned, I hear the Sony PCM D-100 is as good as it gets. I believe Sony put production on a halt because of the parts shortage, but you can still find them used on Reverb and eBay. I have the PCM D-50, which is the precursor to the D-100, and itā€™s the best recorder Iā€™ve ever owned. You can find them for much cheaper than the D-100.

3 Likes

I use the Zoom h4n (original) and I love it. It does exactly what itā€™s supposed to do and it couldnā€™t be easier to use. Iā€™ve used it exclusively for the last few years and never ran into any issues. The audio quality is top notch and itā€™s nice and clean, Iā€™ve used it for both personal and professional projects and I even use it in the studio sometimes just for its preamps when I want to record something into the Octatrack without unhooking things so I can use the (much nicer) preamps on my audio interface but the ones on the Zoom are perfectly acceptable for basic uses. I donā€™t have any experience with the zoom h2n but I imagine itā€™s a good choice if itā€™s anything like the h4n.

2 Likes

A used MixPre-3 II.

Yeah or even a Mixpre 1 would be an excellent choice if you can find one for a good price. About the best preamps you can get and analogue limiters are very nice to have. Not a handheld device of course and you need mics to plug into it, but you could certainly stick it in a backpack or shoulder bag or perhaps a large coat pocket. Iā€™ve done binaural recordings with my Mixpre 6 in my rucksack and stopped/started recording with the Wingman app, quite a nice low-key setup.

1 Like

At this point in time I am looking for something as an all in one solution that can slip into my backpack and be taken out for quick handheld captures.

Also for day to day recording of little ideas and interests.

If itā€™s something youā€™re putting into a backpack and not into a pocket then any of these handhelds should be fine.

If it was me I would probably try and get an old Sony D10 or D100 in good condition, otherwise I might consider the Tascam X6 if the reviews and sound quality are solid, 32-bit float recording is such a nice thing to have. I think Tascams 32-bit implementation isnā€™t as good as Zoomā€™s or Sound Devicesā€™ though.

The Zoom H recorders tend to have relatively poor noise floor performance in my experience so wouldnā€™t be my first choice, but theyā€™re still quite useful if super clean ambience recording isnā€™t essential.

2 Likes

Yeah, the X6 looks like a reasonable option (although only just announced) and the X8 isnā€™t much of a jump for a lot more features - although itā€™s more of a chunky device, not as discreet as the X6.

The D100 is considered a stand out among field recordists, although it was out of production for a time, and Iā€™m not sure of itā€™s availability in Australia. You might be hunting on the second hand market for one of those, and the tech is a little long in the tooth I suppose.

A lot of folks just roll Zoom recorders, Edirol (Roland) have some options too.

I have a Marantz handheld, PMD-620. Itā€™s highly regarded for its inputs. Fine as a handheld recorder - it replaced my Edirol R-09 which I lost in Tokyo.

I find the handheld recorder market to be cheap and tacky, the new Tascams look like the modern pick of the bunch.

One thing I did spot recently was the Tascam DP-006 which actually has built in mics, but also inputs as a multi-tracker.

A funny one I also spotted also does video - the DR-V1HD

4 Likes