Field recorders

Anything thoughts on the Zoom MSH-6 Mid-Side Microphone Capsule? I have one of the newer H6’s that didn’t come with this capsule and was wondering if it’s worth picking one up. I’ve never recorded with mid-side mics before.

I had a Tascam X8 and returned it was too big and pain to use, now happy with the TX-6 works great for me.

1 Like

Yeah I thought it looked a bit unwieldy, nice feedback

Be sick if TE did a dedicated handheld field recorder. Something as minimal and machined as the TX, with simple and surprising features, maybe a strain of OB-4 dna or something. Could be a companion for the TX, too.

3 Likes

This was posted before but it’s worth mentioning again, very useful reference -

2 Likes

I use a Olympus LSP4. The best thing about it is it’s size. And it sounds as good as a friends big tascam.

1 Like

I’ve found a few Pcm-d100s for sale new in Australia. I might save for a bit and go with that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve found a half-ish remark on the lines forum, that supposedly Tascam recently stated that the noise issue has been handled after the first batch:

Would be great to see if this turns out to be true & also for the X6. I’m not in a hurry but would like a decent quality portable recorder at some point. (My H6 is a bit big and I find the Tascam DR-05 too noisy for quiet atmos recordings.

1 Like

I didn’t get IQ6 but a H2N.

1 Like

isnt the TX-6 a mixer? how do you use it as field recorder?

also, anyone have experience with the tula mic for field recording?

you would need a mike to feed into the TX-6 as I don’t believe that it has a built in mike recorder. That would be a great firmware update to it. Yes, it is a mixer, audio recorder with USB, audio interface and also a limited drum/synth.

And you would also need a mike preamp, I think.

1 Like

I use a Sony ECM - MS907 stereo electret condenser mic.
No need for a mic pre amp. Plus The TX-6 has a lot of gain.
This mic works very good for the op-1 field, great stereo field samples.

1 Like

While that TX-6 looks like a very cool little device, for that much money and to use as a recorder I’d probably question whether a MixPre 6-II for a little more would be a better purchase. Proper preamps with phantom power, 32-bit float recording, has similar mixing functionality with either the front knobs or if you plug in a Nanokontrol, and with the musician’s plugin you get various overdubbing and porta studio features.

If you need something super compact and with that specific featureset I can see the TX-6 being great though.

Why use the TX-6 when you could use a compact field recorder with built in mic(s)? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Or you could do something like this:

Even more compact with the Zoom F3 plus 2 Goosenecks:

2 Likes

If you want to do that, you could just bolt a stereo bar to the conveniently-provided 1/4-20 hole you can see in the middle of that picture of the mixpre and avoid stressing your xlr ports

1 Like

True and I don’t really consider the tx-6 a field recorder in the same way as the zoom models.

A little feedback on the Zoom M4…I’m glad I didn’t see this video before ordering the M4…it probably would have put me off getting this great recorder. My device has no problems with interferences at all !!!

I’m definitely not a professional when it comes to recording but…

• i like the sound of the built-in microphones
  • the converters also sound absolutely up-to-date
  • after a few seconds it is ready to record
  • to work with 32bit float and no longer have to adjust the recording level is a dream
  • it’s totally intuitive to use…really great UI

The only thing that bothers me a little is the form factor… for a field recorder, the thing is really big. But other than that, I like this thing a lot. This is just to counterbalance the negative review… maybe he caught very early models that were still buggy.

1 Like

That’s really great to hear! I’m glad you’re enjoying it and those are all important pros you’ve listed. Any handling noise issues you’ve encountered?