Field recorders

Since we’ve thoroughly hijacked OP’s original intention with the post, I’ll just go out and say, along with a field recorder, get yourself a paid of Lom Usi. Increases quality and versatility exponentially.

zoom h6 here, really nice !

Zoom F8n user here.

1 Like

Anyone using Zoom H5 here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Ha ha, this is my experience of field recordings a lot of the time too. In a biking trip to Switzerland I wanted to record the sound of the cowbells. Unfortunately cows make a lot of other noises as well as clanking their bells which end up sounding pretty loud on the recordings which makes it super hard to capture very cleanly!

1 Like

I have 3 recorders for different purposes.
The best recorder is the one you have always with you :slight_smile:

1. Sony PCM-A10, the most portable option, so always carrying with me. It has really great preamp for plugin power microphones like LOM Usi etc, that gets you better recording quality than anything till Sony PCM-D100.
  2. Sony PCM-D100, is probably the best one from handheld recorders, however it doesn’t have xlr inputs.
  3. Zoom H6 + EXH6 capsule, the most portable and also the cheapest option for 6 channel multitrack recording.

1 Like

Nagra SD here - very good quality, using for more than 10 years - no problems, really reliable.

There are indeed a lot of options.
Nevertheless, my intention was to have an alternate way to record my mixes/jam directly from MODEL1.
I have since rethought my setup and now have the ability to use a spare stereo IN pair on my MOTU.
Field recordings will wait for now :slight_smile: :mask:
Thanks again to all :slight_smile:

and what mic? I would like to buy one too - but I have the feeling it is a lot more bulky than a H4n for example

Also 32 bit ist with the mk2 - that is a game
changer, isn‘t it?

Im looking for the same to collect samples for my DK (mono). Ive seen loads of recs for the higher end zooms but I’m on a budget and dont need multitrack recording.

Has anyone tried the Tascam Dr-05x?
its going for around 80$

I have a zoom r16 that i use as a recorder, mixer, and interface. just need something to collect on the go. any recs under 100$

So far I’ve mostly basic mics such as Oktava’s for video voice over purposes. Just starting to think about recording music with it.

Honestly I cannot say whether the 32-bit thing is important or just a marketing gimmick. My gut feeling is that for my level of tinkering, it doesn’t matter…

Cheers

I record with and without (32Ω) headphones plugged in. I’ve noticed no different noise levels using line in, but using the inbuilt mics always has some level of expected noise. I’ve used the DR100III with my camera while filming and can’t say there was any difference with or without headphones, and noise is something I always listen for in that circumstance (though it does pick up physical camera noise if mounted on a camera).
I play back on an A&K320 with DT1990’s and an RNHP in between and it’s ridiculously crystal clear with the line in recordings (via SSLSiX).
When I got the 1010 Blackbox, I wasn’t unimpressed with its sampling quality, but just for hell of it I compared with sampling from the DR100III (which I put into the Blackbox) and the DR100III samples do sound better coming out of the Blackbox, and there were no headphones plugged into the DR100III.

1 Like

i just have to chime in here and say, after reading further on the mixpre’s i feel like i have discovered the perfect recording device for me. something i’ve been searching for for months, honestly, i feel like i almost shed a tear lol

i have always known about Sound Devices, and primarily considered them field recorders - i did not know about the musicians series of premix devices which give u multi-tracking features and routeable i/o. nor the ‘musicians plugin’ which now gives you those same features through a paid add on, on the preMix mkii’s.

so thrilled to finally find the device that does what i want, granted this isn’t really a handheld thing in the field, but more of a sling bag over the shoulder with a handheld or tripod mic. but for the studio this is just what i want, a small box, battery powered if need be, routable io, punch in/out. will definitely be one of my next buys

a part of me still wants a dr100 type device tho as its great to be able to grab something with built in mics and hit record when you’re in a pinch. but ive seen the mixpre’s in an all new light today

Just a bit later…
I have a H5 (but for working in the field I have SD633 for production sound and Zoom F8n for recording ambiance with Ambisonics and an ORTF).

What I like about H5 (compared to H4n) is that you have a stereo Line input in the provided X/Y mic body (it bypasses the X/Y mic); so you end up recording actually 4 tracks.
You can also buy the EXH6 expansion which adds two more (no phantom) mic preamps.

I do not like the sound of the X/Y mic (noise and muffled sound) but fair enough for a quick’n’dirty portable solution.

It can act as a mixer too (H4n either if I remember correctly).

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion.

Had my H2N since it came out and I like it, its enough for my meager needs!
When I recently got a Digitakt I realized its a perfect tool to sample with aswell :slight_smile:

I still look at new recorders when GAS strikes but I cant justify getting a new one over this…

Hi all a question, when out and about collecting sounds to use for samples what recorders do you use to get quality audio samples.

Thanks

Personally I have an ZOOM H4N I don’t use much because it’s big. I’m thinking about buying an IQ6 or IQ7 for Iphone. Not sure about the quality.

Ah sorry, I misread the post. Not the first time this week! I use one of these. Also use it to record 2tracks straight from studio or DJ mixer.

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-40/top

2 Likes

I’ve also got a zoom H4N which doubles as an audio interface but I’m thinking of getting a zoom H6 which has more inputs for more gear you’re inevitably gonna buy