Field recorders

Me too :wink:, firstly I thought OP was talking about OT Recorders settings (16/24 bits). :

1 Like

H4n does decent recording, but I downgraded to a 4Gb SD card because it scans the entire card when starting up, which is a nonsense as you’d like to grab the recorder and get in on in no time to capture the instant.

The other thing is, as @sezare56 said, that it’s too big to get in your pocket.

Most of the time, I just record with my phone, cause that’s what I got in my pocket, but I’d love a modern recorder!!
H4n feels so '90.

Edit: I gather several threads about field recorders, could be a good thing to browse the whole discussion now :slight_smile:

Also, here’s a list of last year field recorders:

1 Like

I’ll be honest I just use my iPhone voice-memos.

3 Likes

Also starting waxing on about RYTM in a A4 thread this week, winning

(That article uses an H4n image for h4n Pro :joy:)

I have an H4n. It does the job. If I were to do it again I’d probably go for a Tascam as the noise to signal ratio is reportedly better. Might even consider a Sony A10. Those Sony recorders are no joke.

But like @LyingDalai, I’ve made totally fine recordings with my phone.

EDIT: If you have even the slightest inclination to be serious about field recording, get one with a decent input so you’ll the ability to hook up a pair of Lom Usis. You know that moment Dorthy opened the door to a colored Oz? Like that.

1 Like

Mics?

Had a Zoom H6, returned it. File management and UI was atrocious for what I paid. Picked a Zoom H1n red edition on a Stupid Deal of the Day $79.99. It’s great for the price and has a simple interface and line in.

Yep.

1 Like

Nice how is the h1n?

Sounds decent and super simple, that equals perfect for me. I use it to quickly capture while songwriting with guitar and record direct from PO-33 or what have you. Has only a few features but does have overdubbing and auto-record which works fairly well. Well worth the money if you don’t need all the advanced features.

Edit: Red edition aint pretty but worth the $40 difference in case anyone cares, I don’t.

I received the H2N. Seems perfect for my use.
Audio Class Compliant, works with iPhone camera (line in or mic).
I got it 2nd hand at 70€ so cheaper and much better than IQ6/7!

2 Likes

I have one of those and take it out when we go on walks. Although you do get some funny looks when banging hollow trees and twanging wire fences etc!

:joy:

2 Likes

@OverUnity do you have a windscreen?
Rycote’s seems a bit expensive.
There’s the Zooom WSU1 twice cheaper.

I have the H4N one, probably not appropriate for external wind and I may give it back to my father with H4N.

Looks like a mushroom with it

I don’t but could definitely do with one. Just a standard and cheap sm58 type windshield will probably do.
I need to have a look to see what’s available.

1 Like

Zoom H8! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

That is quite a beast and a very odd shape.

I’ve got an F8n too for more serious recording. Zoom do make some great recorders at affordable prices.

1 Like

Looks like a model for a spaceship from a sci-fi movie

2 Likes

For a moment, I thought it was a mockup of yours ^^

This shape is absolutely ugly and inconvenient. Graphical UI seems better though, let’s hope it doesn’t scan the whole 128Gb card (would take H4n 2 minutes)

2 Likes

I use this one for H4n. It is quite effective

Also isotope RX is brilliant for cleaning up noisy outdoor stuff. I just have the Elements version.

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked into field recorders and I’m wondering what people recommend.

I’d like something I could take to a practice space to record acoustic instruments and percussion. I’d like to stick mostly to the built in mics if possible.

Is the H4n Pro still a good choice?

Looking through features, I like that it has auto record, a tuner, and built in metronome, so seems well-suited for instruments. The onboard effects also might be nice, and I like that you can plug in a guitar or bass, unlike the models above it. I would go with the H6, since I like the detachable heads, but I don’t think I need six inputs and it doesn’t have the tuner, metronome, guitar stuff.