Figured out how to create independent delays per track!

Last night I was sitting on my couch watching Arrow with the wife when this dawned on me. As soon as the show was over, I ran downstairs and tried it. The results were awesome.

1. Load up a sound on track 1. The sound needs to have the option in the synthesis page to use the retrigger and retrigger time functions for this to work. If you want to have a wet and dry version of the sound, also load up the same sound on track 2.

2. For this example, place a trigger on step 1 of track 1 and P-Lock the volume to taste, retrig amount to whatever number you want, and then the retrig time to taste.

3. Place another trigger on step 4 (just an example for this purpose). Now P-lock the volume to 0 (or to taste), P-lock the retrig to 0, and the time to taste. If you change the time, you’ll get almost the bouncy ball type delay.

4. Arm the slide function on step 1 and (in this example) step 4. Now the trig time and volume with fade!

Voila! Now you have a dope little delay! You can actually also do reverse type delay build things by basically doing the opposite of this!

What I’ve been doing is having the first hit retrigger time at 127, then dropping it to around 64. It creates this cool speed up sound. Of course, you could also go from 64 to 127 and hear it slow down.

If you want to also have the option to do fills during the delay outs, you’ll need the same sound on another track to fill in the space as if you put one on the first track, it will interrupt the triggering.

This is the kind of shit I want to be able to use the MD for. This is the kind of creativity I’m looking to spark with this kind of hardware and I am now 100% certain that I made the right choice (although that AR vs MD debate is looking mighty convincing, too).

I figured out another way to do it!

Set up your sound. Turn up Retrig and ReTrigTime to your desired settings. Turn the VOL knob down all the way. Arm the LFO to be the downward slope with a depth of 100%. Set the speed to your desired taste. Then you have a fading out delay that is independently timed from the other instruments!