First hardware

What’s up everybody. I have a question for you guys.
So I got into music production when first introduced to reason and abelton. I have gotten bored of just using software. I am looking into getting some hardware. I have seen lots of videos of people using elektron machines and doing amazing things with them. My question is would a machinedrum be a good first electron machine to get?
Thanks again.

Hi!

It depends on lots of things…
A machinedrum with UW+ (more sample memory) is always fun and good.

Do you plan to use it with ableton?
If so Analog Rytm with overbridge would be perfect!

I would like to to use as little software as possible. Maybe just for recording and some editing.

I think Rytm or A4 are better 1st hardware solutions for someone migrating from software.

Coming from a DAW you’re probably used to being able to scroll through sounds, and you’ll probably want to interface your instrument easily and seamlessly with your DAW at some point.

With Machinedrum and Monomachine, there is no scrolling through sounds for one track. All the sounds reside in kits.
With A4 and Rytm, though there is a sound browser that makes managing sounds far more easy, and the kit structure allows you to use edited versions of those sounds in your kits, but the original versions of those sounds tucked away in your sound browser on the +Drive.

Overbridge, which is only available with A4 and Rytm, will allow you to use your DAW for recording the instruments in a multi-track manner, over the USB port of the instrument, without the need of any additional hardware.
MD and MM will require assigning sounds to one of their respective 6 outputs, and using a dedicated audio interface to record those 6 tracks. You’ll also need to use a dedicated midi interface for sync, if you need that with your DAW.

The MD would be a great first piece of kit. It’s the most immediately usable box Elektron makes, and it is so deep, you will never tire of it. The thing is, you may want another synth to go with it for melodies and such. The MD is much more than just a drum machine, but trying to be melodic with it can be tedious.

The Monomachine is also an excellent choice because you get an overwhelming amount of potential and usability in one little box. It can also do great percussion. It just takes some time to learn and understand how to use it in more grand ways. If you like down-n-dirty synth programming, this box will satisfy your thirst for a very long time. If you hate down-n-dirty synth programming, then you may well not enjoy this box. The MNM was my first box, and i’m glad it was.

All that said, and Octatrack is probably the most diverse piece of kit Elektron (maybe anyone) makes, and has such a huge set of capabilities, it baffles the new user as to what to do with it! But really, it’s not too bad to learn, and the shit you can do with it can’t be matched. Downside is that you have to become a sample hound, or create your own material to put into it, before it can make any sound at all! A new iPad is great for feeding the OT, btw.

The A4 and AR are great, but the A4 is only four tracks, and that goes quickly once you start layering sounds. The AR is great too, but it is rigidly a drum machine (that happens to play samples).

Get an Elektron box (it won’t be your last), an external FX box (reverb), and a portable field recorder (which can record your jams as well as capture material to feed an OT, MD, AR), and you have yourself a huge amount of potential.

hi

Md uw+ is my 1st hardware, took a half a year to just understand how deep it is, later I bought an analog 4.

but if the house will burn down , i will take the MD with me :slight_smile:

this machine is more than 10yo and still, its surprising every time.

good luck

Hi. Thanks for all the quick response. What kind of external fx box and field recorder would you recommend?
I’m really leaning towards the machinedrum. I’ve seen the octet rack in action and am really impressed. But I feel like it’s a bit harder to master.

Once again, if you choose the machinedrum, try to get the UW+ model.
This way you can put your own samples in it (drums, synths…).
It makes quite a big difference.

External FX box: Zoom ms70cdr is a cheap but very versatile pedal with lots of effect.

Hey Theshaman, something about this post caught my eye and warranted spending my time replying to your question. The primary reason I personally drifted away from computer-based music was it’s lack of tactile interfacing with the sound engine. It became uninspiring or as you say - boring.

Elektron hardware wasn’t my first taste of hardware but it has been the longest lasting hardware I have owned. My first Elektron machine purchased was the Machinedrum UW+ and the Octatrack. Followed closely by the Analog Four and Monomachine. The only combination that I currently have and still in use is the Machinedrum and Monomachine.

And if I had to take only one Elektron machine to a desert island, it would be the Machinedrum UW+ hands down. Why, 16 tracks, 5 sound machines, a Master FX Control machine that can be Parameter Locked, ROM Sample Playback machine, RAM Recording/Playback machine, MIDI and Input machines but they’re not going to be much help to you on a desert island. The Machinedrum is a beast. Some days I wish I was on a desert island so I can be left alone to simply play for hours on end.

It’s stable, it’s reliable, no updates, no BSOD’s, no compatibility issues, no, no, no and no! It’s in fact liberating to simply pick up the device, switch it on and get straight to work. Thank you Elektron.

Do it man, get the Machinedrum and then once you have that under control add the Monomachine because you’ll need those synth sounds and although you can create awesome sound design with the Machinedrum, it doesn’t pitch the same way a synth does, so MD and MnM are a killer team.

Good luck.

Regards Aaron

Thanks again for all the response. I will definitely go for the machinedrum and eventually a monomachine.